Finance and Accounting Apprenticeship Scheme
If you’re considering a career in Finance and Accounting, DE&S offers you an opportunity like no other. The Finance and Accounting Apprenticeship Scheme offers the chance to develop your skills through hands on learning and training, including working towards your professional qualification.
Finance and Accounting
DE&S Finance and Accounting Apprentices work within teams that procure and support the equipment that our armed forces require. They work alongside Project Managers, Commercial Officers, Inventory Managers, Technical experts, Risk Managers and Military colleagues to ensure that the equipment purchased, and the support provided is fit for purpose and achieves the best possible value for money.
Read more about the Finance and Accounting function.
The DE&S Finance and Accounting Apprenticeship Scheme is a three-year development programme focused on finance and accountancy roles across different business areas within DE&S.
You’ll rotate through several placements that’ll provide you with the opportunity to learn about a variety of aspects of finance and accounting including:
- forecasting the future budget
- reviewing and creating accruals
- providing financial analysis to support decision making
- developing costing for business cases
- tracking costs to contracts
- using Financial Systems
You’ll study towards achieving Levels Three and Four of the Association of Accounting Technician (AAT) qualification.
End of scheme
DE&S have an exceptional record of finding jobs for apprentices, and if you successfully complete your apprenticeship, we could offer you permanent employment within the Finance & Accounting function.
To apply you’ll need five GCSEs including English Language at C/4+ and Maths at B/6+, or equivalent. Additionally, it’s beneficial for your CV to demonstrate you have relevant experience and finance and accounting skills.
We are seeking individuals who:
- enjoy solving complex problems and can deliver clear and effective solutions
- are keen on embracing change
- are willing to share information, knowledge and skills
- have a strong focus on internal and external customers
- have a commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- are keen to seek out new opportunities for learning, personal and career development
- are prepared to commit to a three-year training programme
- are pro-active and willing to take responsibility for their own development and career progression
We’ll offer you challenging opportunities that’ll help you to develop your career and offer you great rewards in an environment where results are recognised. In return, you’ll own your career and drive your own development.
Help and support
There’s plenty of support available on this apprenticeship. You’ll have:
- A dedicated scheme manager who’ll be responsible for co-ordinating your professional training and development throughout the scheme
- A placement supervisor who’ll oversee your day-to-day management and provide on the job development opportunities
- An excellent professional AAT training package
- An experienced college skills coach to provide support throughout your academic learning journey
- When applying, you’ll complete an initial online application and be required to undertake an online numerical, verbal and Civil Service judgement test.If you pass all tests, you’ll then complete a full application and upload your CV (please note the specific CV requirements on the job advert).Finally, the top scoring candidates will be invited to an Assessment Centre in Bristol.
This scheme is due to open in late 2023.
Benefits and discounts
We truly believe that DE&S is a great place to work, and we offer a unique experience for our graduates and apprentices.
We want to ensure that every single employee feels appreciated and fairly rewarded and being part of the Civil Service allows to offer a very unique and attractive benefits package including discounts on cinema tickets, sport and leisure and your weekly shop.
Discover all the ways we can help you make life easier.
“You get the chance to work, gain qualifications and progress all at the same time. DE&S is very supportive, as there are lots of people with vast amounts of experience to learn from who are always happy to help.”
– Rachel, Project Professional Scheme
Turn your job into a career with DE&S. Find your place in our team today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Should you require support with the application process or require any technical assistance please contact the DBS team on 0800 345 7772.
A provisional offer informs you that you have been successful at interview subject to pre-employment checks. At this stage we will initiate the necessary pre-employment checks, such as security clearance and medical questionnaires. If you are an external candidate, you are strongly advised not to give notice to your current employer until pre-employment checks have successfully been concluded.
Your provisional offer will inform you of the pre-employment checks. The security checks, which are undertaken by National Security Vetting (NSV) Agency, usually take the longest to complete so you will be invited to commence this aspect once you have been informed that you have completed your interview, as this reduces delays. An invitation to begin the security clearance process is not a guarantee that you will be given an offer.
All candidates will be required to undertake security clearances to the level the role requires prior to commencing employment. Assuming the candidate completes their security forms and references are returned in a timely fashion, and that no further checks or documents are required, we would expect the individual to be advised that we are in the position to make a formal offer of employment and start discussions to agree an appropriate starting date.
The Disability Confident scheme aims to help employers make the most of the opportunities provided by employing disabled people. It is voluntary and has been developed by employers and disabled people’s representatives.
DE&S is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader.