If you’re considering a career in management, DE&S offers you an opportunity like no other. The Chartered Management Degree Apprenticeship Scheme offers you the chance to develop your skills through hands on learning and training, including working towards your professional qualification.
Corporate Services Group (CSG)
When you come to DE&S, you’re joining a team that helps protect people all over the UK – and overseas too. We do that by providing cutting-edge tech, vehicles and equipment to the Armed Forces. Whether it’s the latest protective clothing for soldiers, or the smartest radar for new RAF jets, our projects keep UK military colleagues safe, so that they can protect life at home.
To do that, we need a real wealth of people from every background and skillset – all working together every day to do our best work.
Corporate Services utilises the expertise of eight specialisms (plus five sub-specialisms) that collectively enables the operational day to day running of the business. They are the ‘corporate glue’ that ensures DE&S delivers its objectives and maintains compliance with the requirements of being part of a Department of State.
Read more about the Corporate Services Group
The Chartered Management Degree Apprenticeship Scheme is a four-year long development programme within the Corporate Services Group (CSG) function focused around business roles across different areas of DE&S.
You’ll rotate through several placements within DE&S and you may also have opportunities to work in other business roles supporting the MoD’s vast estate and front-line commands.
Your hands on experience will be underpinned by DE&S specific training as well as study towards a BSc (Hons) degree in Management and Business. You’ll also have the option to be assessed for Chartered Manager status.
Your responsibilities will vary depending on the placement you’re in, but broadly speaking, we can tell you you’ll be:
- Providing an administrative support service to specialist colleagues within the business and actively contributing to team meetings to help with the work of the team
- Building and maintaining a network of internal business contacts and peers to share and gain knowledge and identify opportunities to learn and develop
- Undertaking business support placement activities to develop your knowledge and experience and add value to your team and the business
- Building awareness and understanding of how the CSG function and wider business operates to assist in own develop and career progression
- Participating in assigned educational training to develop own capabilities in a defence context
You’ll study towards achieving a BSc (Hons) degree in Management and Business. You’ll also have the option to be assessed for Chartered Manager status.
End of scheme
Once you’ve completed the Level 4 and Level 5 of the Chartered Management Degree Apprenticeship, you’ll be eligible for a re-grade interview and potential transfer to a permanent contract while allowing you to continue with your Level 6 Apprenticeship. You’ll then have the option to be placed into an appropriate role within the CSG function.
- Candidates must have or be studying to attain a minimum of five GCSEs A-C or grades 9-4 (or equivalent) including English Language and Maths by August 2023.
- Candidates must have or be studying to attain two A-Levels grades A-C (or equivalent) by August 2023.
Help and support
There’s plenty of support available on this apprenticeship. You’ll have:
- A dedicated scheme manager who’ll be responsible for co-ordinating your professional training and development throughout the scheme
- A placement supervisor, who’ll oversee your day-to-day management and provide on the job development opportunities
- An excellent professional training package
- An experienced college tutor to provide support throughout your academic learning journey
When applying, you’ll complete an initial online application and be required to undertake an online numerical, verbal and Civil Service judgement test.
If you pass all tests, you’ll then complete a full application and upload your CV (please note the specific CV requirements on the job advert).
Finally, the top scoring candidates will be invited to an assessment centre in Bristol.
This scheme is now open, click here to apply via the Civil Service Jobs website