Job description for Weapons Technical Services Team Leader
A senior management post in the Weapons Operating Centre. Are you a scientist or engineer interested in working at the cutting edge of weapons technology, collaborating with industry and Government on a national and international scale?
Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) requires a graduate scientist or engineer, with a background of leading engineering or scientific teams in the private or public sectors, managing complex Ordnance Munitions and Explosives (OME) safety matters to support current and future defence outputs.
Weapon Technical Services (WTS) is a multi-disciplined team of civilian subject matter experts providing independent specialist advice and guidance on the safety and suitability for service of OME, and its associated facilities and platforms. This service is provided to customers within DE&S, the wider Ministry of Defence, and other government departments. In addition, the WTS supports the development of OME technology and developing best practice defence and international standards through communication, cooperation and co-ordination with the UK OME Safety Regulator, the UK industrial base, academia and various national and international bodies.
The WTS Team consists of roughly 50 personnel across a range of specialisms, including: energetics and vulnerability; electromagnetic environmental effects and initiation systems; munition life assessment and statistics and modelling.
If successful, you will represent DE&S on international and national bodies, both government and with industry. You will work at the cutting edge of weapon technology, collaborating with industry and government on a national and international scale.
Please note, regular attendance to MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol will be required.
Due to the nature of security requirements, this post is open to UK nationals only and the successful candidate should be willing to undergo Developed Vetting once in the post.
Responsibilities for Weapons Technical Services Team Leader
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Provide advice to senior leaders, scientists and decision makers on benefits and priorities of projects and portfolios to inform funding, whilst leading negotiations to secure resources for internal projects to ensure they are delivered to performance, cost and time.
- Influence and act as a peer reviewer for other portfolios relevant to own specialist area and wider functional plans to ensure alignment between portfolios and sharing of knowledge for the benefit of the function and wider organisation.
- Maintain relationships with industry leading experts to ensure DE&S are at the forefront of emerging technological trends.
- Exploit new technology, interpret data and develop conclusions in a managed, risk-based way, to create leading-edge solutions that meet customer requirements on a cost-effective and affordable manner.
- Be responsible for the governance and assurance of the ‘safe and professional’ status of the team.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Level 6 qualification (e.g., BEng/BSc) in a science/engineering related subject.
- Professionally registered at a level equivalent to Chartered.
- Demonstrate extensive depth and breadth of scientific/engineering experience in their specialist area in a variety of highly complex and/or large-scale contexts.
- Relevant experience of weapons, ordnance, munitions and explosives.
- Wide exposure to topics and issues demonstrating a strong record in producing informed outputs, providing technical advice at a senior level, and leading a scientific/engineering domain.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Improve Engineering Capability (Expert)
- Technical Decision Making (Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and an annual privilege day for the King’s birthday.
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards.
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Weapons Technical Services Team Leader by creating an account and uploading your details.