Job Description for Weapons Engineer
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Are you fascinated by cutting edge technology and excited by the opportunity to work first hand with on military platforms and systems?
We are looking for Weapons Engineers to join our Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) Team, supporting the development of state-of-the-art weaponry. In your role, you will play a significant part in accelerating the delivery of DEW into the hands of the British Front-Line Forces, delivering Capability Demonstrator Projects to shape user requirements, and Concept Phase projects to take the first steps towards DEW acquisition.
Using your excellent communication skills, you will build and maintain strong working relationships with industry partners and have technical responsibility for multiple exciting and fast-paced projects. You will oversee progress towards technical milestones, risk management and platform integration. You will also be involved in the setting of requirements and the bid evaluation process.
Please note, due to the secure nature of the projects, this role will be open to Sole UK Nationals only.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Weapons Engineer
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Lead the technical delivery within your area of the Directed Energy Portfolio, managing the technical resources required to input into the projects
• Engage with a wide range of stakeholders, chairing meetings and providing presentations to technical and non-technical stakeholders of all seniorities
• Lead project technical risk management activities
• Undertake detailed design reviews to ensure system suitability and acceptability
• Author and peer review Engineering Artefacts (including Engineering Management Plans) for the projects within your area of the Portfolio
• Lead supplier relationship management and interfaces with other DE&S and MOD teams
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- A Level 6 qualification (or higher) in an engineering or Science subject, or equivalent experience within industry
• Demonstrable experience leading teams and/or coordinating resources to deliver projects
• Experience with system/equipment/project safety
• Experience of systems integration
• Strong written and communication skills
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- EFCF 2 – Application of Analytical Techniques (Practitioner)
- EFCF 3 – Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance (Expert)
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people, and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Weapons Engineer by creating an account and upload your details.