Job Description for Technical Safety Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life. We are seeking Technical Safety Managers to join Integrated Battlespace Operating Centre (IBOC), delivering a diverse portfolio of mission critical programmes to all four Front Line Commands. These are usually complex programmes and projects delivered in rapid turnaround times.
One of the Technical Safety Manager posts will be in the Air Defence and Electronic Warfare Systems. (ADEWS) Team with a focus on Acquisition Safety for Air Defence Surveillance Systems. The role will initially focus on all safety aspects of procurement of two Air Defence Radars for the Falkland Islands. Occasional travel to the USA is expected.
The other three Technical Safety Managers will be in the MARSHALL programme, ensuring safe operation of aircraft and MoD-operated airfields and associated sites in the UK and overseas. This Technical Safety Manager role will co-ordinate at all areas of the CADMID (Concept Assessment Demonstration Manufacture In Service & Disposal) lifecycle. Occasional travel within the UK is expected.
Technical Safety Managers will have their Permanent Duty Station (PDS) as below:
RAF Henlow, Bedfordshire, SG16 6DN
Please be aware that in 2024 this PDS will move to:
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, some of these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only. Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Technical Safety Manager
Responsibilities may include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Work with colleagues at all levels to ensure compliance with relevant UK and EU legislation and regulations, MOD regulations, to include ATM (Air Traffic Management) equipment release into service arrangements, and DE&S Policy.
* The Technical Safety Managers will lead the development and management of Safety Management Systems at Project level.
* Provide specialist advice to Senior Managers on the application of safety management systems.
* Produce and contribute to Safety Management Plans.
* Establish and implement an appropriate Safety Management System through the application of DE&S policy.
* Management & mentoring of team members within their Delivery Team.
* Direct management of DE&S staff as well as indirect management sub-contractors.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Minimum Level 4 qualification (HNC or higher) in a relevant safety, engineering or science discipline
• Experience in the use of System Safety Management Tools & Processes
• Experience in a system safety role and experience of developing a Safety Management System
• Experience of safety management in a regulated environment
• Full clean driving licence
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- SYSSAF 3 Complies with Sys Safety requirements – Practitioner
- SYSSAF 4 Adoption of safety risk management – Practitioner
- Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Technical Safety Manager by creating an account and upload your details.