Job Description for Systems Engineers
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We have several career opportunities available for Systems Engineers in various areas within the Integrated Battlespace Operating Centre (IBOC) and Land Equipment Operating Centre (LEOC). IBOC delivers a diverse portfolio of mission-critical programmes to all four Front Line Commands. The programmes and projects are complex and delivered in rapid turnaround times, delivering and supporting equipment related to; intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition, and reconnaissance, and has several vacancies in different delivery teams. LEOC primarily delivers on advanced tactical vehicles for Armed Forces and has a vacancy in the Land Open Systems Architecture (LOSA).
Our Systems Engineers are responsible for managing engineering risk and acting as an intelligent customer on engineering design and development, whilst establishing architectures of systems to deliver military capability for the future.
We can offer you an opportunity to work with new and emerging technology, including integration, and enhancing existing systems, for our country’s Defence.
If you are successfully invited to interview and have a preference in which Bristol based Delivery Team you would like to join, please make this known.
We welcome applications from candidates with experience in multiple engineering disciplines.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only. Some of which are expected to undertake DV clearance when they start in post.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Systems Engineers
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Manage the delivery of all engineering aspects in area of responsibility as defined in the assignment specification or objectives including managing the acquisition safety aspects.
- Provide expert advice and guidance in own technical area to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks.
- Manage the technical requirements for the acquisition lifecycle stage of one or more project, programme, service, or system.
- Monitor and implement any governance and assurance policies and procedures to ensure the ‘safe & professional’ status of the area led.
- Lead on the development of requirements related to own area of specialism including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications.
- Interface with industry as the intelligent customer both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Relevant Level 4 (HNC or higher) qualification or equivalent suitable experience.
- Technical expertise in an engineering discipline (e.g. Systems, Sensors & Electronics, Electrical, Communications, Electronic Warfare, Radar, Systems & Integration)
- A depth and breadth of technical experience in own specialism with knowledge and application of Systems Engineering approaches.
- Experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance (Practitioner)
- Application of Analytical Techniques (Practitioner)
- Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Systems Engineers by creating an account and upload your details.