Have you taken a career break from an engineering role? Are you keen to re-enter the world of work? Join us on a six-month structured programme that will support and upskill you to become a confident Safety Engineer. We’re offering mentoring and training to develop your skills and empower you to make a big difference to the UK Armed Forces by ensuring their equipment is safe to operate with world-leading capabilities.
Many skilled and experienced engineering professionals take career breaks to care for family members, to travel or study, or for health or other personal reasons. With our STEM Returners programme, we’re dedicated to supporting you as you return to the workplace. Building on your previous experience, we’ll refresh your existing knowledge and provide you with the know-how to ensure success in applying for a permanent position with Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) at the end of the scheme.
Our Engineering function promotes an inclusive workforce that inspires, attracts and retains people from diverse backgrounds, reflects the society in which we live, and improves social mobility. We have learned from the COVID-19 experience that personal that factors such as hybrid and flexible working are no barrier for collaboration, teamwork, and success. Through this programme, it’s our goal to make a fulfilling career accessible to all.
Job Description for STEM Returners Programme – Safety Engineer
Throughout the programme, we’ll offer lots of support, training and mentoring, tailoring the programme to your individual development needs. The scheme consists of:
• A six-month appointment in our Safety Engineering team where you’ll receive technical training to equip you with up-to-date knowledge and experience in this discipline. We’ll also support applications to register with a professional safety engineering institute, and offer CV guidance and interview preparation to support you in applying for a permanent role at the end of the programme
• Throughout the programme, you’ll also benefit from structured sessions to support with reintegration to the workplace. These sessions are designed to build confidence and ensure your effectiveness as your re-enter the world of work.
• At the end of the programme, if you’re not quite ready to apply for a permanent role with us, you may have your contract extended for up to a further 17 months following a performance review. This is an opportunity to consolidate your knowledge of safety engineering by working with one of our project teams, supporting a particular piece of equipment (for example A400M military transport aircraft, the Type 31 frigate or one of our protected patrol vehicles).
On successful completion of the scheme, you will have re-launched your STEM career as a permanent Safety Engineer in DE&S. Your role will help protect the service personnel that defend the UK, by ensuring they have access to effective, safe-to-operate equipment.
We acknowledge that everyone has different rates of development and confidence levels. That’s why we invite scheme members to apply for a permanent role as Safety Engineer at any point during the programme.
Please read our STEM Returners – Applicant Toolkit for support with your application.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for STEM Returners Programme – Systems Engineer
You’ll receive training throughout the six months while supporting the Safety Engineering team, with the chance to take on new responsibilities in line with your growing confidence in this specialism.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Been on a career break for 2 years or more
• Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes.
• Level 4 or above qualification in an engineering discipline (e.g. a Higher National Certificate)
• The ability to start with DE&S from Monday 20th February 2023.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Decision Making (Supervised Practitioner)
• Technical Risk Management (Supervised Practitioner)
• Changing and improving
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
At DE&S, you’ll benefit from access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, PRIDE Network, and many more, offering the chance to join a supportive network of colleagues, allies, and thought leaders.
We are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. This programme particularly welcomes applications from female returners, supporting our aim to address the gender imbalance that’s recognised within STEM careers and within the defence sector. However, recognising that career breaks for parental care or personal reasons are not exclusive to women, we invite applicants of all genders to apply. About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply for STEM Returners Programme – Safety Engineer by creating an account and upload your details.