Job description for Senior Systems Safety Engineer
The SDA have exciting opportunities for systems safety engineering professionals to join our teams at MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol.
You will integrate with teams of highly skilled professionals, getting up-close and personal with complex submarine systems to oversee engineering challenges unique to this industry, whilst supporting the Royal Navy and significantly contributing to project/programme success.
As a senior member of the SDA, you’ll have the opportunity to be an authority on systems safety, assurance and coordination of these complex capabilities. You will interface with engineering teams, key suppliers and stakeholders to deliver assurance safety requirements and ensure deliverables are aligned with project/programme schedules. Once established, you will work with elite submarine systems to become our most experienced and knowledgeable systems safety representative on your respective engineering project.
In the SDA you will have unparalleled opportunities to learn and develop as a professional and will be actively supported in this respect. Training is readily available, invested in and essential to stay abreast with new technologies and you will be working in an environment that encourages this.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only. Due to there being posts in multiple teams, the SDA reserves the right to offer the highest scoring/most suitable applicant/s for each team respectively, subject to requirements.
Responsibilities for Senior Systems Safety Engineer
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Support the development and maintenance of policy and process to satisfy the DE&S corporate standards for Acquisition Safety.
- Develops, manages and maintains effective Safety Management Systems. Identifies and analyses hazards and contributes to the identification and evaluation of risk reduction measures, ensuring that these are adequately documented and managed
- Work with colleagues at all levels to ensure compliance with relevant UK and EU legislation and regulations, MOD regulations and DE&S Policy.
- Develops and maintains project safety assurance plans, monitors compliance and ensures that safety assurance evidence is gathered and assessed for safety case preparation
- Produces, reviews, endorses and recommends acceptance of safety artefacts.
- Oversees the management of contractual aspects to ensure safety requirements are captured and the management of contractors who perform safety activities.
- Provides informed safety advice to decision makers through Project Safety Panels
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience.
- Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience
- Substantial experience in a systems safety engineering role
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Complies with Sys Safety requirements – Practitioner
- Adoption of safety risk management – Practitioner
- Communicating and Influencing CSBC3
- Changing and Improving CSBC3
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about SDA Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Senior Systems Safety Engineer by creating an account and uploading your details.