Job description for Senior Operations Manager
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Operations Manager in the Wildcat Delivery Team, based within the Helicopters Operating Centre at DE&S Yeovil.
The Wildcat Helicopter is one of the most modern military aircraft in service and has significant life out to the mid-2040s. It is designed to serve in the battlefield utility, search and rescue and anti-surface warfare roles.
As a Senior Operations Manager you will work closely with industry and be accountable for managing delivery, planning, and providing support to the UK Armed Forces Front Line Commands. You will have considerable opportunity and responsibility, whilst demonstrating that you are a proactive leader with a desire to deliver. You will possess a continuous improvement mindset and you will interpret and utilise management information and data to provide valuable business insights. You will encourage a culture of learning from experience, imaginative thinking and expanding mindsets, all in the pursuit of improved quality.
Please note regular attendance to the Yeovil site and to RNAS Yeovilton will be required for this position.
Responsibilities for Senior Operations Manager
In this role, you will have opportunity in:
- Leading the delivery of a portfolio/programme/project to meet Customer requirements including performance to quality, cost, and time.
- Strategic thinking, problem solving and stakeholder management to continually drive improvements challenging under-performance and managing disputes through appropriate channels.
- Communicating clearly with a broad range of stakeholders to manage expectations, to develop and implement optimised support solutions.
- Leading performance management, governance and reporting using management information to identify trends, implementing short-term corrective action, whilst identifying root causes and developing sustainable solutions.
- Building a team, clearly communicating your team vision, values and objectives, role-modelling desirable behaviours and constructively addressing any areas of under-performance.
- Leading all support-related contract activity, including requirements setting, tender activities and performance management.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Significant experience in senior management in a delivery environment at an operational level within at least one of the following fields: Operations Management, Logistics Management, Supply Chain Management, Project Management, Business Management, ILS / Technical Through Life support.
- Demonstrable leadership and management experience.
- Examples of making clear, pragmatic, and manageable plans for service delivery to provide leadership to a cross-functional team and stakeholders.
- Experience of successfully managing the delivery of contract requirements and holding organisations to account.
It would also be great if you can demonstrate any of the following desirable criteria:
- Previous experience within an aviation environment.
- Level 6 qualification in a subject relevant to your specialism.
- A chartered status from one of the professional bodies associated with your specialist field e.g., CEng, CMILT, MCIPS, CIPFA, MAPM, RPP.
- Previous experience working for the MOD/DE&S.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Enhancing service support systems – Expert level
- Managing support, supplier, and customer networks – Expert level
- Managing a quality service
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Senior Operations Manager by creating an account and uploading your details.