Job description for Security Engineer
Do you want to work in an environment where you can harness your passion for security and defence, whilst developing your skills and experience? If so, we have exciting and dynamic opportunities for Security Engineers to join our teams, directly supporting the UK’s Royal Navy fleet.
These Security Engineer roles are vital in providing security oversight and assurance to equipment on board Royal Navy ships. You will join a team of security and information management professionals, using your technical information acumen to oversee, manage and mitigate possible threats to the systems, equipment, software and hardware used by the Royal Navy. The teams’ main responsibility is to ensure the ’secure by design’ / ‘secure by delivery’ function of the Engineering Authority is upheld.
These roles are pivotal in supporting our application of security and business continuity management processes.
Responsibilities for Security Engineer
As Security Engineer, you will provide security oversight to a wide range of activities ensuring that cyber and information security controls are properly embedded within projects throughout their lifecycle. You will engage with both internal and external stakeholders, representing the wider team on pan-platform assurance and security matters.
Depending on team you are allocated, you may have the opportunity to:
- Review updated security documentation in advance of equipment hardware/software updates
- Attend working groups including the Security Working Group to gain an understanding of their interdependencies, liaising with Industry and Key Stakeholders as required
- Coordinate, consider, witness, manage and report on all security requirements for the project, ensuring they are completed professionally, efficiently and to schedule, and that they are fit for purpose and compliant with relevant policy and legislation and ensure all appropriate actions are taken to achieve accreditation
- Provide advice on security policy covering both policy that is already in place and the creation of new security-related documents for the project
- Monitor and report on project security requirements and issues as they arise, reporting unresolved issues where necessary
- Advise and consult with the Security Manager as required on matters and risks relating to Combat System security
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- You will hold a HNC (i.e., Level 4 or higher) qualification in a relevant subject, or will have suitable equivalent experience in technical information management, compliance, security, engineering or technology
- You will have the ability to engage, manage and/or influence internal and external stakeholders
- A keen interest in, or some working knowledge or experience of, information security or cyber security
It would also be great if you can demonstrate any of the following desirable criteria:
- You will have proven management of compliance with standards and frameworks, such as JSP 440, JSP 604, or similar
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical decision making (Supervised Practitioner)
- Technical risk management (Supervised Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
- Seeing the bigger picture
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Security Engineer by creating an account and uploading your details.