Job Description for Security Advisor
Our Corporate Services Group (CSG) function is represented in every area of the organisation, with a wide range of specialisms that collectively enable our effective day-to-day operation, ensuring we can deliver our objectives and maintain compliance.
As part of our team, you’ll benefit from plenty of routes for development, access to specialist training and funding for professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.There are several security posts under the single title of Security and Resilience Lead, each contributing to the secure operation of DE&S and our defence industry partners.
There are posts for Security Advisors offering assurance to our defence industry partners, as set out in the responsibilities below. Some of these roles require travel throughout the UK and overnight stays as required.
One post is for a Security Advisor to provide critical support in the secure delivery of specific DE&S projects, in accordance with policy and appropriate governance.
In addition, there is one post for a Security Advisor to deliver key security culture and awareness products and maintain security awareness across DE&S.
Please note, due to the nature of these roles some posts will be reserved for sole UK nationals.Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Security Advisor
In this role, you will be entrusted with:
• Align with relevant regulation, policy and standards to provide proportional, practical advice, tailored to the strategic environment, and advise relevant stakeholders on any residual risk.
• Ensure security and business continuity effect is delivered in alignment with organisational objectives and standards.
• Deliver threat assessments, risk assessments and/or business impact analyses for the organisation using appropriate methods.
• Deliver informed / evidence-based recommendations to decision-makers with a means of mitigating risk and managing issues.
• Design and support the implementation of risk reduction methods, advising on residual risks and potential resolutions.
• Advise the organisation on how to deliver balanced and cost-effective security and business continuity outcomes in situations with complex scope or significant risk.
• Lead on the development and implementation of security and business continuity exercise programmes.
• Coordinate activities to drive continuous improvement and encourage the sharing of knowledge and best practices
• Develop approaches to effectively report risks and engage with relevant stakeholders, including those beyond the Security Profession.
• Assess and advise on policy and governance in respect of project security management across a variety of programmes.
• Design and deliver products and programmes that advance the security culture of DE&S and its staff.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
Proven experience of working in a security or business continuity role or similar, within the government security profession, industry, the public sector, or a comparable organisation.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
MSyI or MBCI (desirable)
Security Risk Management
BCI Good Practice Guidelines
Introduction to Audit and Assurance
PIP II investigation
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
•Business Continuity Management
•Risk Understanding and Mitigation
•Changing and improving
•Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Security Advisor by creating an account and upload your details.