Job Description for SDA Systems Engineer
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
The SDA has exciting opportunities for eager Systems Engineers to join our most modern and technically advanced projects. There are 3 positions available specialising in configuration and change management. Each Systems Engineer will lead a small team who respectively manage the configuration of test documentation for our Vanguard Class Submarine maintenance programme, the change management activity for our Vanguard and Dreadnought Class Submarines and the Maintenance programme for the In Service SSBN Fleet respectively.
As a part of these authorities, you’ll get up-close and personal with elite submarine systems, overseeing engineering challenges unique to this industry and significantly impacting project/programme success. You must show you have the knowledge, technical competence and capability to lead small teams, as well as the desire to gain configuration and/or change management knowledge and be upskilled to SDA-standards in this particular discipline.
These roles will offer unrivalled opportunities for promotion as well as specialist technical training to support your career in engineering. Many of our senior engineers started with us as trainees or in junior posts and have spent their whole careers in the SDA. We care about your career path, will encourage your progression, and nurture your development as a Systems Engineer by your side.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for SDA Systems Engineer
You will lead and manage a small team (comprising two individuals stationed at Abbey Wood) to either manage the configuration of the test documentation for the Vanguard Class Submarine maintenance programme, the change management activity for the Vanguard and Dreadnought Class Submarines, or the Maintenance programme for the In Service SSBN Fleet. The tasks involved will include some of the following activities dependent on the specific role awarded:
• Providing UK to US Government liaison for configuration management and interface control.
• Manage and Analyse the Maintenance Procedures to include the coordination of US/UK stakeholders
• Participate in US/UK Technical Exchanges and other meetings
• Travel to meetings to UK and US sites
• Coordinate Evaluation Programmes for UK Facilities
• Supporting Configuration Management inspections engineering systems
• Maintenance of Configuration Management process documentation subject to review programme
• Ensuring effective implementation of the procedures and policies
• Develop, produce and maintain Test Documentation i.e., Test Procedures
• Ensure Change Proposals for documentation and drawing control are processed to time.
• To undertake the daily management and coordination of maintenance programmes
• Manage and Review the Analysis of the Maintenance Programme
• Derive the appropriate remedial action of any emergent issues identified during Maintenance Plan/s
• Management and support to Analysis Software
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• You will hold a minimum level 4 qualification (ie HNC or equivalent)
• You will have technical experience, qualification or accreditation in an element of the configuration management environment (e.g., Configuration Management, Change Management, Physical or Functional Compliance Auditing).
• You will demonstrate a positive attitude and display a keen attention to detail
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Lead, supervised or managed a team in a previous or current role
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance
• Technical decision making
• Seeing the big picture
• Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Learn more about our benefits and pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, together we can achieve the extraordinary.
Please click the link below to apply for SDA Systems Engineer by creating an account and upload your details.