Military Transition Scheme – SDA Submarine Engineers
Are you a Royal Navy service leaver who’s passionate about using your knowledge and experience to ensure the Navy’s submarines are safe to operate, resilient and capable? Join the Military Transition Scheme at the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) and you’ll join a unique hybrid environment, working closely with our military customers and industry to deliver and innovate.
At the SDA, we value the specialist skills and experience of service leavers, and we’re working together with the Cabinet Office and Career Transition Partnership (CTP) to offer you the chance to take on a fixed-term contract of up to two years. You’ll become a civil servant with access to all of our usual benefits, including our support to develop and progress. From CV writing and interview preparation to on-the-job and formal training, we’ll coach and support you to apply for a permanent role with us when you’re ready.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is a part of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in-service support, and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering some of the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ some of the most skilled people in the country, and in return, we provide a fantastic offering. Feel rewarded by what you do – delivering for the UK Armed Forces, you’ll support the defence of our nation while building a career that works for you.
About this role
Join our team as an engineer and you’ll help manage and deliver the continued safe operation of vital systems across the Royal Navy’s submarine fleet. You’ll use your communication and people skills to motivate and encourage the wider team, while using your in-depth technical knowledge and experience of Royal Navy platforms, systems and equipment to provide creative and innovative solutions to technical challenges.
Depending on your skills and experience, you could be:
- Determining customer requirements and generating technical specifications
- Managing equipment or system requirements and their acceptance
- Provide through-life support throughout project lifecycle
- Supporting and managing systems integration and verification, and assisting with the production, acceptance, and resultant configuration management
- Establishing and overseeing project engineering activities from concept to delivery, including testing and trials, design change management, installation planning, and capability transition into operational service
- Challenging technical assumptions to identify improvement and innovation opportunities
- Use your Royal Navy engineering experience to provide technical support and assistance to platforms.
We have multiple positions available on this scheme. Talk to us about your experience and we’ll discuss the most suitable grade for you to join us on. Once you’ve joined, we’ll give you all the support you need to keep progressing.
- Level 2 – £36,100 to £39,000 per annum
- Level 3 – £44,500 to £48,200 per annum
If your experience is extensive and you’re looking for a more senior position, let us know, and we’ll assess what level to match your skills and experience to.
Who are we looking for?
We have opportunities in a range of specialisms, so whether your specialisation is as a Marine Engineer, a Weapon Engineer or in Combat Systems, we’d love to hear from you. We’re particularly seeking people with experience of supporting the submarine flotilla, but engineers from other branches of the Royal Navy or Armed Forces are welcome to apply. You should prepare to tell us about your experience in providing technical advice and delivering successful engineering outcomes. If you also hold a Higher National Certificate (Level 4) qualification or higher in an engineering discipline, or have demonstrable equivalent knowledge, skills and experience, you’ll be ticking all our boxes.
We employ many military service leavers, and we’re keen to attract many more. As we send submarines to the deepest depths, we’ll support you and your career to reach new heights. We believe in aspiring to be the very best. At the SDA, you’ll add value from the get-go, and we’ll enable you to grow your success and contribution by placing your personal development at the heart of our drive for excellence. From one-to-one coaching to funding for industry-recognised accreditation, bring your aspirations and we’ll support you every step of the way.
Please note only UK military and former UK military personnel are eligible to apply.
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- If you join us with a break in service from the military of less than five years, and you have completed five years of military service, the military leave allowance will be preserved, and you will be awarded 30 days of leave
- You’ll also get eight bank holidays and an extra day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- We promote flexible and hybrid working to support our colleagues with work-life balance however regular attendance on site is required
- Huge range of discounts through our partners including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced schemes for maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- Discover more about SDA benefits
Ready to deliver the extraordinary? Get in touch:
Please send your CV and a covering email to: DESHR-SD-TalentAcquisition@mod.gov.uk