Job Description for SDA Safety Engineering Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Are you are fascinated by cutting edge technology and excited by the opportunity to work first hand with on military platforms and programmes? If so, the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) require Senior Safety Engineers to support various teams at MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol. These are important and rewarding roles that would be well suited to engineers with comprehensive knowledge, understanding and experience using a range of safety tools and techniques.
As a Safety Engineer, you will lead the safety engineering & management related activities of a project, service or system within a delivery area and manage the technical risk in any phase of the acquisition lifecycle. You will apply your track record and knowledge of safety engineering to manage wide audit/assurance activities, covering programmes in all stages of the lifecycle of the SDA.
We have a number of opportunities working for example within the SDA Chief Engineer’s Team, Submarine Production (SMP) and In-Service Submarines (ISM), covering programmes in all stages of the lifecycle of the SDA.
As reward, the SDA offers and promotes hybrid working and encourages personal development in a fair and ethical environment. As a responsible employer operating in a niche area, the SDA can offer unrivalled opportunities for promotion as well as specialist technical training to support your career in engineering. Our projects span the whole submarine life cycle, from concept design through to build and in-service support. As a result, our projects can last decades, meaning we offer exceptional job stability alongside career development.
We care about your career path, will encourage your progression, and nurture your development by your side.
If you’re passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom, have a good moral compass and a drive to protect people, whilst making positive contributions towards a safe and sustainable future, this could be the career for you!
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for SDA Safety Engineering Manager
Operating as our Senior Safety Engineer, you will have practical experience implementing safety management systems for products, services or systems, either as part of design or in-service support.
Dependent on the role you will:
• Be the Safety Audit authority, ensuring compliance with Defence Maritime Regulations and implementation of Project Safety Management Plans
• Ensure compliance with Defence Maritime Regulations and implementation of Project Safety Management Plans.
• Lead the safety engineering & management related activities of a project, service or systems within a delivery area and manage the technical risk in any phase of the acquisition lifecycle.
• Lead the safety engineering & management related activities of a project, service or system within a delivery area and manage the technical risk in any phase of the acquisition lifecycle.
• Manage audit/inspection of Project and Delivery Teams and Duty Holder’s safety management arrangements and provide advice to teams on compliance with safety policy and standards for platforms, equipment and munitions, including compliance with various DSA standards and publications
• Utilise your knowledge and experience developing, producing, assessing and approval of safety cases, developing clear, logical and convincing safety arguments in support of safety assessments.
• Use your excellent stakeholder management and communication skills at a senior level, acting as the independent SME/practitioner, to challenge and support delivery teams and industry partners on best practice, acceptable and proportionate means of compliance, continuous improvement, and risk analysis and mitigation techniques.
• Liaise with relevant regulators (Defence Maritime Regulator, Defence Nuclear Safety Regulator, Office for Nuclear Regulation), conducting reviews, audits and inspections to ensure that the SDA meets and maintains compliance against applicable UK and EU legislation, directives and regulations, and MOD regulations where they differ from, or are specific to, the SDA.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Level 4 NQF in a relevant engineering or science discipline.
• Experience of managing safety engineering/auditing in a highly regulated environment
• Experience of providing safety related technical advice and delivery of products or services.
• Demonstrable experience of management of a safety team, undertaking high risk and high consequence activities.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Member of a relevant Professional Safety and /or Environmental Institute or equivalent body.
• Experience in the use of ASEMS and System Safety Management Tools & Processes.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Complies with Sys Safety requirements – Practitioner
• Implementation of policy and procedures
• Changing and improving
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for SDA Safety Engineering Manager by creating an account and upload your details.