Job Description for SDA Safety Engineering Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We have 2 exciting, deeply rewarding and challenging opportunities for Safety Engineering Managers to fill 2 overarching roles for the SDA at HMNB Clyde, Faslane. The successfully recruited managers will work to ensure site safety systems are compatible with contractors and site arrangements and Dreadnought build sites are safe and ready for the new class of Submarine coming into service.
As a Safety Engineering Manager with the SDA, you will be expected to be our most experienced and knowledgeable safety representative on site. Leaning on your expertise, you will become and integrated member of a highly skilled team of professionals, getting up-close and personal with elite submarine systems, overseeing engineering challenges unique to this industry and significantly impacting project/programme success.
These are exciting roles that will gift the opportunity to work within an environment where your aspirations for further development and training can be realised. You’ll work in support of the most complex products on the planet, which include end-to-end lifecycle activities associated with nuclear submarines and the supporting infrastructure.
Due to security, these roles require applicants to be sole UK nationals.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for SDA Safety Engineering Manager
As a Safety Engineering Manager in either role, your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following;
• Investigating, auditing and assuring reviews, identifying key learning points to drive continuous improvement.
• Providing assurance to Safety & Environmental Managers and the Senior Management Team that preparations are aligned to the programme.
• Ensuring incidents; accident or near misses, and hazards, are reported, and where applicable, reviewed investigated, actioned and closed out.
• Overseeing the maintenance and development of appropriate KPIs, dashboard reporting and risk registers.
• Managing all the key stakeholders across HMNB Clyde, Coulport and relevant SDA Teams and all the interfaces.
• Managing corporate communications on key H&S messages, ensuring effective delivery.
• Supporting the teams with any safety and environmental issues or interfaces which arise.
• Attending the Working Group committee meetings on a monthly basis.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent health and safety qualification.
• IOSH Managing work safely
• A minimum of Level 4 NQF in a relevant engineering or science discipline
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience within Royal Navy, Oil and Gas or related highly regulated industry
• Experience creating safety cases
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• SYSSAF 3 Complies with Sys Safety requirements – Practitioner
• SYSENV 2 Implementation of policy and procedures – Practitioner
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Learn more about our benefits and pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, together we can achieve the extraordinary.
Please click the link below to apply for SDA Safety Engineering Manager by creating an account and upload your details.