Job Description for SDA Safety Assurance Engineer
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.Please select relevant function from drop downThe NATG group is a pan-maritime group of highly skilled engineers responsible for safety certification of MOD shipping and the provision of expert advice in associated technical areas of the subject matter. We have two exciting career opportunities for Safety Assurance Engineers to join our Fire Safety and Recoverability (FSR) and Escape, Evacuation and Rescue (EER) sections.
As part of our team, you will have specific responsibility for the delivery of timely, efficient and effective safety certification activities for ships, submarines or boats. You’ll have the opportunity to lead on the development of requirements including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications. Due to the nature of our services, working with various stakeholders is critical to our success, and you’ll be required to interface with industry as the intelligent customer both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks.
Please note that, due to security requirements, these roles are limited to sole UK nationals only.Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for SDA Safety Assurance Engineer
As a Safety Assurance Engineer in either the FSR or EER post, you will ensure safety assurance arrangements for in-service and new-to-service vessels, including ships, boats and submarines (FSR only).
For either role the post holder will work in a small team and will have graduated responsibilities in the following areas:
• Undertake independent reviews of evidence, material state inspections, and recommend the issue of certificates to the Ship Operating Centres for all vessels throughout the project lifecycle in support of the assurance process for Fire or EER Key Hazard Area Certification.
• To assist in maintaining standards and providing Subject Matter advice and support to ship staff, Platform Authorities and industry on issues relating to non-compliance with regulations.
• Undertake specific investigations, research, and trials as they arise.
• Delivering engineering decisions and providing technical advice, within delegated authority, assuring that design intent is achieved and any deviations have gone through due process.
• Identifying and overseeing risks, engaging with the relevant stakeholders to ensure appropriate risk mitigation are adopted and assuring the certainty of project delivery where it falls within delegated responsibilities.
- Acting as intelligent customer.
• Promoting the development and evolution of Fire / EER safety arrangements and equipment.
• Maintain and when appropriate write Fire / EER Safety guidance documents.
• Liaison with Classification Societies and other military parties on the development of mutually beneficial rules and regulations the International Naval Safety Association; and participate in and Chair, where appropriate, technical committees as required.
• (Fire Only) Assist with the development and maintenance of Fire Safety training activities and courses.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Hold a Level 4 (HNC or higher) qualification in an engineering or technical discipline, or equivalent experience
• Be an Incorporated or Chartered engineer, or can demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experienceIt will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirablecriteria:
- Member of a relevant Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body.
• Incorporated Engineer working towards CEng status.
• Experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering projects or activities
• Awareness of hazard and safety management
• Understanding of ship systems or marine environment
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Decision Making
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
- Changing and improving
•Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Learn more about our benefits and pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, together we can achieve the extraordinary.
Please click the link below to apply for SDA Safety Assurance Engineer by creating an account and upload your details.