Job Description for SDA Quality Engineer
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
A unique and exciting opportunity has arisen for a Quality Assurance Engineer to join the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) at MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol This is a unique role that will offer the opportunity to oversee engineering challenges unique only to this industry, develop your career and significantly impact project success and add value across the SDA.
As an Engineer in this role, you will apply your Engineering knowledge to become a specialist in submarine assurance and quality engineering, supporting implementation and development of quality assurance through all stages of submarine life cycle. Working across multiple submarine programmes, you will work with Senior Managers to provide governance, support, and advice on Quality Assurance (QA) and improvement interventions. You will develop and deliver Quality Assurance through governance, assurance (audit) and improvement to industry standard, project requirements and Ministry of Defence (MOD) mandated policy.
As a responsible employer operating in a niche area, the SDA can offer unrivalled opportunities for promotion as well as specialist technical training to support your career in engineering. Our projects span the whole submarine life cycle, from concept design through to build and in-service support. As a result, our projects can last decades, meaning we offer exceptional job stability alongside career development. Many of our senior engineers started with us as trainees or in junior posts and have spent their whole careers in the SDA. We care about your career path, will encourage your progression, and nurture your development by your side.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only.Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for SDA Quality Engineer
The successfully recruited Quality Assurance Engineer will undertake SDA Quality Assurance activities on maritime equipment and components. In this role, you will be entrusted with:
• Support the development and maintenance of quality requirements for the system.
• Collect, collate, and conduct internal auditing of the management system and establish levels of conformance to ISO 9001:2015 requirements.
• Provide support in the development and / or acceptance of a sub-system.
• Contribute to the application of GEAR in a limited scope.
• Contribute to the design of a sub-system, component or process that meets the customer requirement within realistic constraints.
• Engage with supplier quality representatives.
• Ensure quality and technical-related risks and opportunities are captured, communicated, and managed.
• Assist with the delivery of quality assurance surveillance in support of risk management, supplier assurance, verification, validation, and acceptance.
• Conduct quality investigation, root cause analysis, internal process performance improvement activities, and supplier escalation and/or intervention.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Professionally registered status or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
• Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience.
• Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes.• Technical experience in their discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- (SQEP) Familiarity with Quality Management (JSP940)
• Member of a relevant Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
- Technical Decision-Making – Supervised Practitioner
- Communicating and influencing
- Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people, and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for SDA Quality Engineer by creating an account and upload your details.