Job Description for SDA Principal Safety Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Are you excited by the opportunity to work first hand with us on military platforms and systems, ensuring the equipment and services provided to our UK Armed Forces are safe for use? We are offering deeply rewarding and challenging opportunities for Safety Managers to fill 3 overarching roles, operating as heads of safety and environmental management for SDA delivery teams.
These outstanding roles will focus on whole boat and equipment platform and product safety; providing policy and strategy arrangements for the business whilst undertaking audit and assurance activities. You will lean on expertise to provide experienced independent safety advice, covering facilities, product and people, across the subject area of safety and environmental engineering.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, this role is reserved for sole UK nationals only.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for SDA Principal Safety Manager
As an Environmental Professional your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Providing advice and support to colleagues, ensuring that appropriate environmental requirements are correctly applied and delivered in contracts
- Creating and implementing environmental management systems for products, services, or systems, as either part of design or in-service support
- Interpreting and applying environmental policy for the design and support of platforms and equipment
- Utilising your communication and stakeholder management skills to offer all the above services across multiple areas, including Maritime, Land, Weapons, Air and Submarines, ensuring that your solutions are understood and appropriately executed
- Support the development of best practice and understand the implication of change
- Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of environmental productAs Safety Manager, you will have extensive knowledge, understanding and experience of a range of safety tools and techniques, allowing you to demonstrate a consistent record, using specific examples, of high-hazard, high-consequence, and complex systems.
You will have practical experience implementing safety management systems for products, services or systems, either as part of design or in-service support.
Specific responsibilities would include, but not limited, to one or more of the following:
- Head of safety and environmental management for SDA delivery teams.
- Lead for all team safety and environmental management activities, including assurance of the safety environmental management system and management of the safety and environmental governance policy and process.
- Providing assurance of regulatory and legislative compliance to approving authority.
- Delivery and maintenance of all team Safety and Environmental Cases.
- Establish and deliver safety assurance and regulatory management arrangements, for assuring safety adequacy and designing safety management arrangements on development for non-nuclear systems within the Platform MSAA responsibility.s or services.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer, or capable of achieving within first 12 months
- Expert / Practitioner status in System Safety and/or Environmental disciplines.
- Extensive experience in use of System Safety / System Environment Management Tools & Processes.
- Management of a team undertaking high risk and high consequence activities.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- A minimum of Level 6 qualification in a relevant engineering or science discipline.
- Relevant experience within a maritime domain and/or specifically submarines
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Complies with Sys Safety requirements – Practitioner
- Application of Analytical techniques – Expert
- Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for SDA Principal Safety Manager by creating an account and upload your details.