Job Description for Environmental Engineering Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Environmental Protection, Climate Change & Sustainability are crucial subjects for us here at the SDA. To help drive our goals, we are seeking enthusiastic and professional Environmental Managers to lead and deliver against our challenges and opportunities.
We have significant programmes underway in the areas of net zero carbon, sustainability and addressing the threats from climate change. As an Environmental Manager with us, you will be instrumental in supporting our activities in the aforementioned areas; producing, maintaining and supporting environmental cases across our broad portfolio of activities and ensuring a positive culture is maintained with clear focus on people, submarine and environmental protection.
We have a number of opportunities and existing skills and expertise will be matched to your placement to provide immediate benefit, within an environment where your aspirations for further development and training can be realised. You’ll work in support of the most complex products on the planet, which include end-to-end lifecycle activities associated with nuclear submarines and the supporting infrastructure. These opportunities will allow you to join an integrated team of highly skilled professionals, getting up-close and personal with elite submarine systems, overseeing engineering challenges unique to this industry and significantly impacting project/programme success.
Due to the nature of our work, we would welcome applications from those currently holding full membership from an environmental society or institution, as well as those individuals who have the desire and motivation to achieve an environmental professional membership status.
Due to security, these roles require applicants to be sole UK nationals.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Environmental Engineering Manager
In this role, you will be entrusted with:
• Management and governance of the Environmental and Sustainability Management System
• Environmental case production, maintenance and management
• Co-ordinating inputs from approving and Technical Authorities
• Identification of environmental impacts throughout the entire lifecycle of the submarine programme and documenting environmental impacts from concept to disposal
• Supporting the business drive towards Net Zero Carbon
• Embedding climate change and sustainability into work activities
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Hold a relevant HNC (e.g., Level 4 or higher) qualification in a Science, Engineering or related subject, or equivalent experience in industry.
• Demonstrable experience of providing environmental advice and leading the delivery of successful outcomes in environmental management and minimising environmental harm
• A good depth and breadth of environmental experience
• It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience within a regulated industry such as Maritime, Oil and Gas, Aerospace, Nuclear, Petrochemical, or similar
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Formulate Environmental Policy and Procedures
• Implementation of Policy and Procedures
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Learn more about our benefits and pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, together we can achieve the extraordinary.
Please click the link below to apply for Environmental Engineering Manager by creating an account and upload your details.