Job Description for SDA Engineering Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) have exciting career opportunities for eager Engineering Managers to join our team. These opportunities will allow you to join an integrated team of highly skilled professionals, getting up-close and personal with elite submarine systems, overseeing engineering challenges unique to this industry and significantly impacting project/programme success.
You will be joining our Naval Authority Group (NAG) team. NAG is a pan-maritime group of highly skilled engineers responsible for safety certification of MOD shipping and the provision of subject matter expert advice in associated technical areas. In this role, you will have specific responsibility for the delivery of timely, efficient and effective Escape, Evacuation and Rescue (EER) certification activities across all MOD surface ships and will be the and assurance authority on all escape and evacuation.
As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to lead on the development of requirements including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications. Due to the nature of our services, working with various stakeholders is critical to our success, and you’ll be required to interface with industry as the intelligent customer both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for SDA Engineering Manager
In this exciting role, you’ll manage the delivery of all engineering aspects in your area of responsibility, provide guidance to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks. You’ll also provide specific technical advice to a variety of key internal and external stakeholders on safety regulation whilst maintaining a knowledge of life saving aspects of naval operations.
The key responsibilities of this post will include, but not be limited to:
• Contributing professionally to the work of a busy technical specialist section, maintaining standards and providing advice and support to ship staff and industry on issues relating to non-compliance with regulations
• Certifying the completion of engineering activities to meet the Authority requirement
• Delivering engineering decisions and providing technical advice, within delegated authority, guaranteeing design intent is maintained and any deviations have gone through due process
• Providing assurance of progress against delivery of engineering activities, recommending remedial action where required
• Ensuring engineering practice is undertaken in accordance with the safety case
• Acting as intelligent customer
• Identifying and overseeing risks, engaging with the relevant stakeholders to ensure risk mitigation and underpinning the certainty of project delivery
Please note, the role requires frequent travel to survey MOD vessels at bases and ports in both the UK and overseas.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Hold a HNC (Level 4 or higher) qualification in an engineering or technical discipline, or equivalent experience
• Be a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer, or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
• Experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering projects or activities
•Experience of applying safety management within complex projects, including legislation, Maritime Society Classification, or similar
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Decision Making
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
• Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for SDA Engineering Manager by creating an account and upload your details.