The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is currently recruiting for 5 Assistant Project Managers within two teams, both based on-site at the impressive HMNB Devonport.
The Future Maritime Support Programme (FMSP) is the largest support programme ever undertaken by the MOD and is the development and implementation of new commercial arrangements with industry – transforming the way that support is provided to all our classes of complex submarines. FMSP supports every UK Naval Base from the beds Royal Navy personnel sleep in, to the Warships and Submarines they serve in, ensuring they are fit and capable to carry out their responsibilities on behalf of the Nation.
Working as part of the FMSP team, you will be supporting multiple change initiatives aligned to the implementation of FMSP at HMNB Devonport – this will involve the realisation of the FMSP operating model to the initial operating capability, parallel organisational change and the creation of associated processes and governance. Part of your role will also include supporting activity that facilitates and ensures the successful transition from existing contracts and suppliers to new following their appointment.
The Deep Maintenance Project (DMP) is essential activity for Royal Navy submarines to ensure their ongoing safety, capability and availability to successfully fulfil assigned operational tasking worldwide.
The scope of Submarine Deep Maintenance at HMNB Devonport is increasing very significantly over coming years with a requirement to undertake such activity for the latest class of submarines within an upgraded dry-dock facility. Initial Planning activity for the ‘first of class’ Deep Maintenance Project (DMP) is currently underway using a closely integrated Joint Project Team construct between the SDA and key Industry Partners – principally Babcock, British Aerospace Systems and Rolls-Royce.
A position is now available in the DMP team to directly support the Senior Project Contract Manager in ensuring efficient delivery of required project outputs, proactive management of contractors and ensuring the continuance of a robust framework of project controls.
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, this campaign with be open to Sole UK Nationals only.
Both posts have specific responsibilities that you may be expected to undertake –
• Responsible for developing, implementing and updating resource allocation plans (other than finance) needed for projects, taking account of availabilities and scheduling.
• Responsible for acting as an Intelligent Customer (Delivery Manager) on site infrastructure at Devonport in scope of the submarine engineering lot with a focus on Submarine Refit Complex facilities – infrastructure.
• Co-ordination of multi-disciplinary internal subject matter experts and contracted Industry Partners to ensure delivery of required project outputs to performance, cost and time criteria.
• Routine management of all project contracts with Joint Team partners, including dependency tracking, resource monitoring and measurement of progress.
Other general responsibilities may include, but are not limited too –
• Identifying and monitoring project risks (threats and opportunities), planning and implementing responses to them and responding to other issues that affect projects.
• Monthly reporting including the generation of portfolio/project dashboards, and associated analysis and recommendations;
• Ongoing development and control of all relevant project documentation within the established project baseline (including project plans, project schedules, status reports and risk registers), identifying and explaining variances, and then taking timely corrective action.
• Proactive management of assumptions, issues, dependencies and opportunities.
• Maintenance of financial controls, providing analysis and forecasts in-line with the project schedule and outturn cost data.
What you will be assessed against
- To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Previous experiene of undertaking project management work within a challenging, fast-paced environment
• Ability to undertake and learn the necessary skills leading to APM PMQIt would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Previous experience of the submarine maintenance and/or support environment
• Given the highly technical nature of the project, a previous engineering or technical-based background and/or relevant experience
• Contract management experience
• 5 GCSE grades 9-4* to inc. English Lang & Maths (*or current/previous equivalent) – Please note certificates must be provided
• 2 A-Levels Grades A* – D or equivalent – Please note certificates must be providedIf you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a Project
• Controlling a ProjectIf you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Working together
• Delivering at pace
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Management Function provides a pipeline of project professionals to deliver our complex programme of work. The breadth of what our Project Managers do, means a career with us gives you a fantastic level of variety and a genuine ability to develop your project management career. From developing the nation’s future submarines to acquiring armoured vehicles, our work is at the forefront of fast-paced, cutting-edge project delivery.
SDA Assistant Project Manager
£24,650 – £29,000 per annum (plus benefits)
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts