Job description for Safety or Environmental Consultant
Our Engineering function enables the delivery of our equipment and support by providing specialist expertise in domain-related disciplines such as: mechanical, electrical & power distribution; software, sensors & electronic systems; acquisition safety & environmental protection; quality assurance; ordnance munitions & explosives, as well as systems engineering & integration.
The Internal Technical Support (ITS) team is Defence Equipment & Supports in-house technical consultancy team. Within ITS, the Safety and Environment team promotes skills development, standardises approaches and increases knowledge transfer across DE&S by holding delivery teams to account against internal and regulatory requirements.
Established to reduce our reliance on Private Sector Support (PSS) expenditure across the whole of DE&S. The ITS team is a significant and growing area of consultancy and provides the business with a Safety or Environmental Audit or Advice services.
Safety and Environmental Consultants can choose their permanent duty station (PDS) from the list below:
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH.
Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX.
Wattisham Flying Station, 2 Valley Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP7 7RE.
RNAS Yeovilton, Ilchester, Somerset, BA22 8HT.
MOD Manchester, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester, M1 2WD.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
Responsibilities for Safety or Environmental Consultant
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Scoping fixed price technical consultancy tasks to meet customers’ needs and be deliverable to cost, time and quality.
- Managing the delivery of fixed price technical consultancy tasks to customer satisfaction, cost and quality.
- Working on complex products, systems and services for example in defence, aerospace, maritime, weapons, automotive, rail or another high technology sectors.
- Helping clients solve complex safety and environmental challenges and problems.
- Provide an independent audit capability against a catalogue of services to provide best practice and best value to the customer
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Engineering experience from within a regulated industry (e.g. defence, aerospace, nuclear, oil & gas and rail), ideally supported with relevant qualifications or professional memberships
- Demonstrable and relevant consultancy experience, with the ability to scope and deliver high quality outputs to time and cost against developed programmes of work
- Knowledge, understanding and experience using a range of environmental or safety tools and techniques, with demonstrable track record of employment or auditing against complex projects
- Practical experience of implementing environmental or safety management systems for products, services or systems, either as part of design or in-service support
- Knowledge and experience of developing environmental or safety bodies of evidence, in support of compelling arguments and cases.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Application of Analytical Techniques – Practitioner
- Technical Risk Management – Expert
- Managing a Quality Service
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday.
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards.
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required).
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression.
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more.
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering.
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period).
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.