Job Description for Safety or Environmental Consultant
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We are looking for Safety or Environmental Consultants to join a group of in-house technical experts, responsible for providing consultancy services to significant procurement projects across the Ministry of Defence.
Within this team, you will become a ‘go-to’ expert, contributing vital expertise and managing safety or environmental risks across a wide breadth of high-profile projects and equipment, from combat aircraft and armoured vehicles to submarines and aircraft carriers. You will influence Safety or Environmental decisions across the full project life cycle of the equipment used on the front line, from design and build to through-life support, and safe and responsible decommissioning.
Additionally, as part of the team, we want you to support us in continually identifying and helping to spread best practice across DE&S, promoting skills development, standardising process, and increasing knowledge transfer throughout the business.
Safety or Environmental Consultants can choose their permanent duty station (PDS) from the list below:
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH
Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX
MOD Manchester, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester, M1 2WD
Wattisham Flying Station, 2 Valley Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP7 7RE
RNAS Yeovilton, Ilchester, Somerset, BA22 8HT
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Safety or Environmental Consultant
The responsibilities of the posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* You will work on complex products, systems and services, you will scope fixed price technical consultancy tasks to meet customer needs and ensure they are delivered to cost, time and customer satisfaction
* You will negotiate and deliver against a commitment to carry out accurately costed tasks
* You will develop artefacts/evidence used in the assessment of Safety or Environmental risk, and consider the implications of changes to equipment design, offering mitigation advice in the process
* You will develop and implement Safety or Environmental management systems for products, services or systems, as either part of design or in-service support
* You will act as an independent subject practitioner, supporting our delivery teams and industry partners with best practice, legislative and regulatory compliance, and mitigation techniques, consistently encouraging continuous improvement at all levels
* You will utilise your exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills to offer all of the above services across multiple areas, including Maritime, Land, Weapons, Air and Submarines, ensuring that your solutions are understood and appropriately executed.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- You will have demonstrable and relevant consultancy experience as a safety or environmental advisor with the ability to scope and deliver high quality outputs to time and cost against developed programmes of work
• You will demonstrate experience using a range of environmental or safety tools and techniques, to provide advice and guidance on complex projects
• You will hold a minimum of a Level 5 (e.g. HND) qualification in an engineering or science discipline, or will demonstrate equivalent relevant industry experience
• You will have experience in the development and writing of safety or environmental artefacts in support of compelling safety or environmental bodies of evidence
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Application of Analytical Techniques
- Technical Risk Management
- Managing a quality service
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Safety or Environmental Consultant by creating an account and upload your details.