Closes: 22nd Feb 2019
The force behind the armed forces, DE&S is a highly specialised, arms-length body of the Ministry of Defence, operating with a budget of £178 billion over the next 10 years. From the procurement of fighter jets and aircraft carriers to the provision of food and clothes, we ensure the armed forces have the equipment and support they need to carry out their operations at home and abroad. We employ over 11,000 talented Civil Servants and military personnel (supported by contractors from the private sector) across more than 150 locations around the world.
Our Engineering function enables the delivery of our equipment and support by providing specialist expertise in domain-related disciplines such as: mechanical, electrical & power distribution; software, sensors & electronic systems; acquisition safety & environmental protection; quality assurance; ordnance munitions & explosives, as well as systems engineering & integration.
An exciting opportunity exists to become part of the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Protection (ASEP) discipline within DE&S. This role is responsible for providing expert advice and guidance in supporting the delivery of Acquisition Safety / Acquisition Environment requirements and solutions across Land, Maritime and Air environments. This will include regular interaction with both internal and external stakeholders and advising customers on engineering design and development. It involves through life management of complex project safety and environment risk management delivery in support of safe and suitable equipment, systems, and services to Front Line Commands.
You will use your Engineering skills and knowledge to understand, interpret and advise against regulations and policies and provide expert advice to Senior Stakeholders. You will have an understanding of Safety Case / Risk Management and prior experience in the defence industry would be advantageous.
Typical Key Responsibilities:
• Interpret and apply key Health & Safety and Environmental EU and UK legislation and MOD Regulations / DE&S policy at DE&S, Domain, Operating Centre and Project level.
• Specialist member of Safety Panels and Committees.
• Manage contractors who perform safety management activities on behalf of DE&S.
• Ensure appropriate standards for safety and environmental arrangements are correctly applied and delivered in contracts.
• Develop and maintain Safety / Environmental Cases and Hazard Logs, production of Safety / Environmental Case Reports and Assessments.
• Undertake System Safety Risk Assessments and Environmental Impact Analysis and develop mitigations to manage and control risks.
In addition to the ASEP discipline positions we are also looking for a number of individuals to become part of our Internal Technical Support Team as Independent Safety & Environmental Auditors/ Advisors. This team is independent from DE&S Delivery Team areas and provides Acquisition Safety and Environmental consultancy services to all domain areas. This team requires full time Environmental professionals as well as full time Safety professionals. Candidates for this team will likely come from a Consultancy environment and may have Lead Auditor status.
Typical key responsibilities over and above the ASEP discipline roles include:
• Lead and participate in safety and environmental audits.
• Deal with initial enquiries and develop scoping studies.
• Delivering Safety or Environmental advice at a practitioner/ expert level to senior DE&S stakeholders and Delivery Teams.
• Have the ability to work independently in support of Delivery Teams for extended periods.
• Ability to multi task across numerous project areas.
To really make a difference, critical thinking, attention to detail and excellent communication skills are key.
To be successful in this role you will have the ability to:
• Support the development and maintenance of specialist Acquisition Safety and Environmental Protection and/or Sustainable Procurement artefacts.
• Conduct investigations and reviews unsupervised.
• Manage assurance activities.
• Gather and manage information that would withstand forensic scrutiny.
You will also have demonstrable in-depth technical experience of applying risk management techniques and provide evidence of dealing with internal and external stakeholders. You will either have or be working towards Chartered Status.
Applicants will be degree qualified in a Science / Engineering / Mathematical subject, however, extensive relevant expertise gained through industry is also acceptable.
TO APPLY EMAIL YOUR CV TO Abi.Bendinger@gattacaplc.com
Please note that you may be considered for similar positions at the level below the advertised role.