Are you a highly capable, credible individual with the ability to build positive and engaged relationships in a complex and ever-evolving environment? Do you want to build an exciting career, as part of an organisation that protects and supports the UK Armed Forces, bringing real meaning and impact to everything you do in your role? We have the perfect opportunity for you! We at the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) are excited to be expanding our team of Project Managers across our Project Delivery Function. With multiple positions available in a variety of Project teams, we want you to bring your knowledge, skills and experience into the SDA. A career with us will provide you with diverse opportunities in key roles at the forefront of the most technically complex projects. This will include supporting the delivery of Major Governments Projects. If you have project delivery experience, aspirations for further development, and the passion and commitment to consistently deliver the best outcomes, then you will find yourself in good company as part of our team.
What we do as SDA project managers is key to successfully supporting the UK’s Continuous at Sea Deterrent (CASD). Every day we play a functional part of making this happen, and that is ultimately what is important. The breadth of experience that you gain here is so wide due to the diversity of delivery that we do. The additional benefits are also great: flexible working hours and a generous pension scheme for example.
At the SDA we operate a hybrid working environment. It is expected that you will attend the site approximately three days per week. However, this cannot be guaranteed as some roles may require a greater attendance to site. Initially you will be expected to the attend more frequently to familiarise yourself with the specific site, the team, and the product you will be working on in more detail.
We are keen to represent the communities we serve within our workforce and to help us achieve this we particularly welcome applications from women, ethnic minorities and disabled people for this role.
What you’ll be doing
- Responsible for leading, managing and developing multidisciplinary teams covering a range of subject areas within associated semi-complex projects, multiple simple projects or complex control accounts
- Accountable for the delivery of their projects’ outputs within the performance/cost/time envelope for a semi-complex project, multiple simple projects or complex control accounts
- Responsible for ensuring the most cost-effective and efficient means of delivery, whilst mitigating risk and leveraging opportunities
- Support an open, honest, no blame culture. Actively highlighting failures and shortfalls positively and drawing through LFE into the project or control account, advising on mitigations and engaging with OBI owner to mitigate wider occurrence
- Responsible for embedding and adhering to all governance and policy and enable the required compliance throughout their team, ensure appropriate challenge and gain approval to deviate when necessary
- Regularly meet the customer to understanding the objective, requirements and the means of acceptance in line with the MoD’s Operating Model and Defence Lines of Development
- Deliver project requirements within the performance/cost/time envelope. Sustain and leverage value through the monitoring and management of contract performance against commitments (product and services) and meet our own obligations under the contract
- Responsible for meeting budgets within all In-Year and longer-term accounting periods EPP, ESP and OpEx. Lead and ensure that the wider financial (and resource) profiles are driven from the activities in the project schedule and the WBS
- Lead the construction (through the Project Controls Function) of the Performance Measurement Baseline for the control account
- Proactively support career management and the wider development of the PMs
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Evidence of delivering semi-complex projects successfully
- Experience in building strong stakeholder relationships within all levels of the business
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Controlling a Project – Practitioner
- Stakeholder Management – Supervised Practitioner
- Making effective decisions
- Working Together
- 25 days’ annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working options
- Market-leading average employer pension contribution of 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
Improving innovation and enriching our culture, diversity of thought is vital to our success. So whether you’re looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, bring your experiences and help deliver for the defence of tomorrow. Here you’ll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of – and if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know.
Selection process details
Your application will go through the following stages of assessment:
1. Pre-sift – We will check that you meet any essential or eligibility criteria that are listed in the Person Specification section of this advert. On your CV, please clearly show how you meet the essential criteria.
2. Sift – Your CV will be assessed against the following categories, using a simple numerical scoring system: Key Achievements; Relevant Experience; Applied Knowledge and Skills
Please follow our guidance on CV writing for best chance of success.
3. Interview – If you’re invited to interview, you’ll be assessed against the Sift categories listed above, as well as the Technical Competences and Behaviours listed in the Person Specification section of this advert.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.