Job description for Postal and Mail Section Manager
For centuries, our Armed Forces have managed an in-house postal service, delivering mail across our military history including both World Wars. The British Forces Post Office (BFPO) provides postal and courier services to the UK Armed Forces and is a renowned brand across Defence.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as a Postal and Mail Section Manager at British Forces Post Office (BFPO) Northolt. Reporting to the Head of Mails, we are looking to appoint a quality driven, people person and customer focused individual who will lead and motivate a small multidiscipline team of dedicated full time and part time staff to successfully deliver a safe, secure, and efficient mail operation that assures the needs of both the business and consumer are constantly achieve.
You will support the needs of the customer base, delivering BFPO Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)in accordance with all relevant Customer Supplier Agreements (CSAs) as well as security instructions relating to handling of Protectively Marked Material (PMM), Aviation Security and Health and Safety legislation.
On top of the salary this position also offers an Outer London Weighting /Recruitment and Retention Allowances of £3250.
Please note attendance to the stated site is required for this position
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Postal and Mail Section Manager
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated, hardworking, and organised manager who can work in a customer-focused team environment to tight timescales, while remaining positive and focused on delivery of support to operational outputs.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Act as the reporting officer and line manage a typical mixed team of up to 20 mail operators and supervisors.
- Provide effective Line Manager support on all HR, personnel, and performance matters within your team.
- Daily duty scheduling, workforce planning and effective tasks prioritisation.
- Provide clear leadership that achieves all KPI’s and exemplar customer service.
- Effective risk management regime that always assures a safe working environment.
- Developing positive relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Produce accurate management reporting, performance and service quality data as required.
- Implement and proactively support training and development for all staff under your control.
- Succession and Capacity Planning including recruitment activity support.
- Assure continuance of BFPO’s Regulated Agent Status with the Department for Transport.
- Implement and maintain fully compliant Air Cargo Security screening activities and records.
In the role you will be required to work between 07:00 – 15:00 hours, Monday to Friday, although some additional hours or flexible working may be required. Exact duty timings will be discussed at interview.
Individuals are required to attend site. Headquarters BFPO is conveniently accessible from the M40 motorway, the A40 and London Underground tube stations.
Individuals must achieve their DfT Aviation Security Cargo Manager accreditation within first year of employment. Appropriate training will be provided throughout.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Previous Mail, Regulated Agent (Cargo and Mail), Supply Chain or Warehouse Logistics experience.
- Effective working knowledge of Information Technology (IT) Systems and Microsoft Office applications.
- Evidence of Workplace Improvement success
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Previous line management or supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of Project planning and control techniques.
- Risk Assessor qualified
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Customer Service – Practitioner
- Making evidence-based decisions – Practitioner
- Leadership – CSBC 3
- Delivering at Pace – CSBC 3
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Postal and Mail Section Manager Supervisor by creating an account and uploading your details.