Job description for Postal and Mail Section Manager
Would you like to be part of a team that delivers vital mail services to the UK’s defence forces? Do you have what it takes to handle sensitive and classified mail with the utmost care and professionalism? If so, apply now for one of our Postal and Mail Section Manager roles.
Here at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), we are looking for talented and motivated candidates to join our British Forces Postal Office (BFPO). The BFPO is a world-class postal and courier service that supports the UK Armed Forces, Ministry of Defence (MOD) and Other Government Departments (OGDs).
As a Postal and Mail Section Manager, you will manage a section within the Defence Mail Centre (DMC), ensuring that it is appropriately staffed to operate efficiently during its opening hours. You will manage the postal budget, produce accurate reports, and maintain the flow of mail according to the needs of our customers and the BFPO’s key targets.
You will ensure that the Armed Forces mail is handled in a secure, safe, and timely fashion and ensure the correct receipting, sorting and dispatch of all types of mail in a secure, logical, and methodical manner.
You will play a vital role in sustaining morale and operational effectiveness, keeping our Armed Forces, MOD and OGDs connected through a range of services. Approximately 220 resolute civilian and military staff work collaboratively across 11 sites in the United Kingdom to deliver personal, official, and classified mail to over 650 locations across the globe.
You will be part of a proud tradition dating back centuries, to when our Armed Forces established their own postal service to deliver mail across our military history, including the demands of both World Wars.
Please note –
- Tasks can involve lengthy periods of standing
- There is a requirement to lift mail items weighing up to 11kg unaided, and up to 30kg with assistance.
You can choose your preferred base location; we have one position available at each of the following sites –
- Portsmouth – Defence Mail Centre, Stoney Lane, H M Naval Base, Portsmouth, PO1 3NH
- Plymouth – Defence Mail Centre, HMS Drake, Devonport, Plymouth, Devon, PL2 2BG
- Wyton – Defence Mail Centre, RAF Wyton, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE28 2EA
These posts require 100% site attendance. You will work 37 hours a week Monday to Friday, although some additional hours may be required. Exact duty timings will be discussed at interview.
Responsibilities for Postal and Mail Section Manager
- Acting as the primary Delivery Manager and Functional Development Officer for DMC employee performance appraisal reports, staff training and training records
- Accountable for the health and safety of yourself and others, who may be affected by acts or omissions at work, observing best practice and compliance with legislation in the protection of the environment and the conservation of energy
- Performing driving duties in the event of staff shortages due to sickness, holidays, or other reasons
- Consulting with Royal Mail and Parcelforce Managers to ensure the best possible service is provided to customers
- Keeping customers up to date on the current and best methods of despatch
- Maintaining procedures in accordance with BFPO / DMC (Management Instructions), Parcelforce, Royal Mail, and other mail services
- Managing the accounts for Parcelforce (World-wide Despatch Manager, Royal Mail on-line Business Account) and BFPO / DMC on-line Despatching Process Systems
- Accountable for Security, Safety, Health, Environment and Fire and ensuring that local orders are adhered to.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Line Manager experience with a proven ability to work without direct supervision
- Experience of producing timely and accurate financial reporting, control accountant reconciliation and accounts management
- Proficient level of IT skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 applications
- Holder of a Full UK manual transmission driving licence
It would also be great if you can demonstrate any of the following desirable criteria:
- Line management experience within a postal, logistics, distribution, manufacturing, or retail services environment
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Managing support, supplier, and customer networks – Practitioner
- Making evidence-based decisions – Practitioner
- Managing a quality service – CSBC3
- Communicating and influencing – CSBC3
- 25 days’ annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you’re looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, here you’ll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of. And if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know.
More information can be found below:
Selection process details
Your application will go through the following stages of assessment:
1. Pre-sift – We will check that you meet any essential or eligibility criteria that are listed in the Person Specification section of this advert. On your CV, please clearly show how you meet the essential criteria.
2. Sift – Your CV will be assessed against the following categories, using a simple numerical scoring system: Key Achievements; Relevant Experience; Applied Knowledge and Skills
Please follow our guidance on CV writing for best chance of success.
3. Interview – If you’re invited to interview, you’ll be assessed against the Sift categories listed above, as well as the Technical Competences and Behaviours listed in the Person Specification section of this advert.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Ready to join us as a Postal and Mail Section Manager? Apply today.