Job description for Planner or Scheduler
The Project Delivery function tracks and delivers some of the most complex and exciting projects in UK defence, offering fantastic variety with the support to shape and grow your career. With Project Controls and Project Management specialists working arm-in-arm, together our teams deliver fast-paced, cutting-edge projects – from the newest armoured vehicles to ground-breaking future aviation technologies – while ensuring critical core programmes keep moving forward, too.
We’re an Association for Project Management accredited organisation, and as part of our team you’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, on-going training, access to funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Are you an experienced Project Planner or Project Scheduler, looking for a new and exciting opportunity? We are currently looking for an experienced Project Planner and Scheduler to be a vital part to planning and scheduling across some of our most complex and exciting projects. Do not worry if you are experienced in one or the other, as long as you have a desire to learn we will provide specialist training and coaching to get you up to speed quickly.
What does Planning and Scheduling mean to us at DE&S?
Planning is determining the overall objectives of the Project and associated strategy for delivery along with ‘what’ is to be produced, ‘who’ will undertake the work, and ‘how’ the project will be achieved.
Scheduling involves the ‘when’, ‘how long’, and the ‘sequence’. The Project Scheduler has the responsibility for preparing the project schedule, monitoring progress, and gaining inputs from all stakeholders.
This varied, exciting and challenging post will see you following technical standards to support Project Delivery.
The Weapons Operating Centre (WOC) is a unique and dynamic environment. It plays a pivotal role in providing industry leading, stand alone and integrated weapon systems to each of our Front-Line Commands. In addition, it provides ammunition along with Test & Evaluation services – always ensuring optimised performance and safety to our users.
You will ensure all scope is captured, represented, controlled, and maintained within project plans; along with this you will work with suppliers and stakeholders to integrate relevant information and will be responsible for undertaking and managing planning and scheduling activity for high complexity, and high-risk projects – helping to drive delivery.
We operate a hybrid working environment and the expectation is that you will attend site around/approximately once to twice a week according to business need/team. Initially, you may/will be expected to attend more frequently to familiarize yourselves with the site, the team and the position you will be working on in more detail.
Due to security requirements, this post will be Reserved for Sole UK Nationals
Responsibilities for Planner or Scheduler
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Understanding planning methodologies and implementation into projects.
- Running or supporting planning workshops to define schedule assumptions and estimates.
- Developing, managing and progressing schedules.
- Have an understanding of wider Project Controls and other functions in order to ensure data is captured correctly.
- Generating and interpreting data and, under the guidance of the Lead Scheduler / Project Controls Manager, communicating clearly to stakeholders at different levels.
- Be able to build strong working relationships and work collaboratively with wider stakeholders across all levels of the organisation.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience of planning projects and working with stakeholders to gather project information.
- For Schedulers experience of using scheduling software is required (Primavera P6, Microsoft Project or similar)
- For Planners experience of Project Planning Methodologies and implementation into a project environment.
- Demonstrable experience of managing data and interpreting project performance data.
- Extensive stakeholder and teamwork skills.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Planning & Scheduling
- Controlling a Project
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about SDA Benefitsand pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Planner or Scheduler by creating an account and uploading your details.