Job description for Lead Environmental Manager
To help drive our environmental protection, climate change & sustainability goals, The SDA are seeking an enthusiastic and professional Lead to guide our newly formed Environmental Centre of Excellence (ECOE) in MoD Abey Wood, Bristol. You will work with our Central Environmental Management Team to deliver Environmental Management System (EMS) arrangements within our project teams, contributing greatly to our delivery of a more sustainable and robust operating model whilst overseeing challenges unique to this industry.
As Leader of the ECOE, you will be instrumental in managing and deploying our environmental professionals and resources to support the organisation in maintaining the environmental cases that support our extensive activities and products, ensuring a positive culture is maintained with clear focus on environmental protection. You will need to be experienced in managing people, stakeholders and developing individuals, ensuring team members are skilled, upskilled and knowledgeable to excel in their roles and responsibilities.
You’ll work in support of the most complex products on the planet, which include end-to-end lifecycle activities associated with nuclear submarines and the supporting infrastructure. These opportunities will allow you to work with an integrated team of highly skilled professionals to ensure that we manage our environmental impacts and risks appropriately and meet our stringent compliance obligations.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only.
Responsibilities for Lead Environmental Manager
In this role, you will have the opportunity to deliver the following ECOE principles:
- Provide responsible, resilient, and reliable environmental management services to teams across the SDA
- Integrate and embed environmental management services within project teams that are lean in bureaucracy and intuitive at the point of use
- Define and implement a common set of environmental work practices and standards cross SDA project teams
- Build an environmental professional community, fostering professional development to upskill individuals to provide a sustainable environmental workforce
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Be a Chartered Environmentalist or hold a relevant level 6 qualification in a Science, Engineering or related subject (or equivalent experience in industry)
- Demonstrable experience of providing environmental advice and leading the delivery of successful outcomes in environmental management and minimising environmental harm
- An excellent depth and breadth of environmental experience
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Implementation of policy and procedures – Practitioner
- Compliance with policy – Awareness
- Communicating and influencing
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about SDA Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for SDA Lead Environmental Manager by creating an account and uploading your details.