Share this job with family or a friend
We have a mission to meet the needs of our Armed Forces, both currently and into the future. As part of the team at Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) we have the opportunity to play a critical role in ensuring the security of the UK.
There are many powerful reasons to join DE&S and this position offers the opportunity to take on an impactful and challenging role that will contribute significantly to the delivery of equipment to the Armed Forces.
As the Head of Function for Project Delivery you will play a crucial role in leading the DE&S Project Delivery function and being responsible for driving continuous improvement in capability levels within the Function. The role demands strategic thinking and the ability to motivate and develop Project professionals and strengthen the influence of Project Delivery as an enabler across the organisation. You will be part of a diverse working community and this position will be part of the Senior Leadership Group to collaborate, share ideas and support each other.
Adoption of standardised processes, toolsets and governance across our four delivery domains is key to improving the maturity of the Function, along with driving a cultural shift towards a stronger focus on project and industry performance.
To be successful, you will be a Project Delivery professional with experience of operating at a strategic level in a large, complex organisation.
You will be able to demonstrate your ability to deliver continuous improvements to DE&S project delivery standards and the capabilities of our people – inspiring them to successfully deliver equipment and support to the UK’s Armed Forces for operations now and in the future.
You will know that you can’t do that on your own, so demonstration of senior management experience in coaching and developing high performing teams and effective stakeholder and supplier management will also be key.
This is an exciting time for DE&S and our Project teams, I hope the prospect of being part of that excites you, and I look forward to your application.
As Head of Function, Project Delivery, you will:
- Integrate across Functions to enable Project Professionals to lead multifunction teams effectively and support the generation of material to enable successful project delivery.
- Be the Deputy Head of Profession, influencing and contributing to Civil Service, Infrastructure Projects Authority and project delivery strategy and implementation, ensuring appropriate DE&S adoption.
- Provide the means to fulfil the technical competency of all staff (DE&S wide) leading projects and programmes.
- Future proof the capability of PD Function through understanding trends across academia, Customers, Industry and key Stakeholders to develop strategies and implement change.
- Establish strong relationships with Domains and Functions to highlight PD as an enabling integrating construct to maintain and evolve good practice.
- Improve relationships with Industry to improve negotiation and delivery of Project outcomes and long-term Supplier relationships, provide expert capability to identify and assess and address underlying systematic issues.
- Be responsible for the delivery of 2nd party assurance, specialist advice and delivery.
- Provide expert support to the DE&S Organisation approach to manage projects.
- Improve the “leading Industry” and commercial astuteness of Project Professionals to equip them to negotiate and deliver projects.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to be able to demonstrate the following Essential Criteria / experience:
- Experience of dealing with industry and government.
- Project delivery of major complex projects throughout the whole project life cycle.
- Strategic and Functional experience – preferably in major balanced matrix, multi-functional organisations.
- Commercial, Project Management Office (PMO), Procurement experience, including managing Customers and Suppliers.
- Operating in a senior leadership role within a large and complex organisation.
- Demonstrable Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion.
- Ability to improve and demonstrate change.
- Chartered, or working towards Chartered Project Professional.
- Demonstrate process improvements and delivery of change initiatives.
For full information on the role please see the candidate pack.
Head of Function Portfolio Delivery
£80,750 – £95,00 per annum (SCS PB 1)
Project Delivery, Senior Leadership
Number of posts
Nicholas Hamilton – DESHR-SCSRecruitment@mod.gov.uk