Share this job with family or a friend
Job description for Fire Engineer
The SDA have a truly unique opportunity for a Fire Engineer, specialising in Recoverability, Safety and Certification, to join our Naval Authority and Technology Group (NATG). By joining the NATG, you will integrate with a team of specialists responsible for supporting some of largest and most complex engineering programmes in the world. You will work at the forefront of marine technology to oversee engineering challenges unique to this industry, whilst providing a significant contribution to project success and support to the Royal Navy.
As a specialist engineer and member of the NATG, you will be the authority on all aspects of Fire Science and coordination of this complex capability. You will be responsible for delivering safe, capable and available surface ships, submarines and boats to the Royal Navy and will lead development of requirements, such as acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications. You will have specific responsibility for the delivery of efficient and effective Fire Recoverability, Safety and Certification activities, acting as assurance authority on all aspects of Fire Science and systems process improvement pertaining to the risk of fire to the flotilla.
Due to the nature of this work, working with project teams and stakeholders is critical to success. You will therefore be required to uphold strong and productive relationships and provide subject matter expert advice to ships, submarines and onboard equipment teams, as well as MoD’s prime contractors such as BAE, Babcock and Rolls-Royce.
Occasional travel between sites may be required. However, your primary place of work could be any of the following locations:
- MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol BS34 8JH
- HMNB Portsmouth, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 3LJ
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are subject to security checks and Security Clearance (SC) must be obtained prior to your start date.
Responsibilities for Fire Engineer
In the SDA you will have development opportunities, defined progression routes and opportunity to learn and develop as a professional. Training is readily available to stay abreast with new technologies and you will be working in an environment that encourages development of your role and of your responsibilities. Initially you will have the opportunity to:
- Investigate new and developing Fire Safety and Damage Control technologies and equipment
- Keep abreast of research and development in both military and commercial sectors
- Act as reviewing officer for fire safety key hazard certification
- Provide subject matter advice to platform authorities and other stakeholders.
- Undertake specific investigations, research and trials
- Assist with the development and maintenance of fire safety and recoverability documentation, training activities and courses
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Member of a relevant Professional Engineering/Science Institute or equivalent body.
- Relevant Level 4 (HNC or higher) qualification
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or has equivalent working knowledge, skills and experience
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- EFCF 4 Technical Decision Making – Practitioner
- EFCF 5 Technical Risk Management – Practitioner
- Leadership CSBC3
- Communicating and Influencing CSBC3
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about SDA Benefits and pension schemes.
Ready to join us as a Fire Engineer? Apply today.
£43,400 – £47,000 per annum (plus generous benefits).
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts
Iustina Onisor – SDA Talent Acquisition Specialist – email@example.com