27th January 2020
We are seeking up to 30 highly committed and competent Finance Graduates for our DE&S Finance Graduate Scheme 2020 intake.
If you’re considering a career in Finance, Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) offers an opportunity like no other. There are in excess of 900 Finance staff working in DE&S, with the majority being based at MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol. Day-to-day, most DE&S Finance Officer’s work within Finance Teams that procure and support the equipment that our armed forces require. This could be anything from army boots to warships, or ration packs to aircraft.
Our Finance and Accounting function helps DE&S meet its financial management responsibilities whilst ensuring we provide the maximum capability and capacity to our armed forces from the funding provided by every taxpayer.
Finance Officers work alongside Project Managers, Commercial Officers, Inventory Managers, Technical Experts, Risk Managers and Military Colleagues to ensure that the equipment purchased and the support provided is fit for purpose and achieves the best possible value for money.
The Finance Graduate Scheme offers an excellent opportunity to develop your skills through hands on learning and training, including working towards attaining professional finance qualification.
DE&S headquarters is located in MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol and boasts an impressive range of facilities including a fully equipped gym, an on-site nursery, a range of restaurants, coffee bistros and hairdressers. We understand the commitments our staff have, both inside and outside of the office and our aim is to provide you with a place of work which allows you the flexibility you require to maintain a great work/life balance. We provide first rate benefits for all of our employees which include flexible working, excellent study and annual leave entitlements, maternity and paternity allowances and very competitive pension schemes.
The DE&S Finance Graduate Scheme is a two year development programme focused around finance and accountancy roles across different areas of DE&S.
You will rotate through a number of placements within DE&S. You may also have opportunities to work in other finance roles supporting the MOD’s vast estate and Front Line Commands.
Day to day, your placements will provide you with the opportunity to learn about aspects of finance and accounting. You will be provided with real experience in:
• Forecasting the future budget
• Reviewing and creating accruals
• Providing financial analysis to support decision making
• Involvement in developing costings for business cases
• Tracking costs to contracts and ensuring they are recorded in the correct place
• Using financial systems
Your hands on experience will be underpinned by MOD and DE&S specific training as well as study towards achieving a Level 7 professional finance qualification (equivalent to Master’s Degree). allowing you to progress towards attaining the status of a Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA).
In addition to formal training, you will receive:
• A dedicated scheme manager who will be responsible for coordinating your professional training and development
• A placement delivery manager who will oversee your day to day management and provide on the job development opportunities
• Access to an experienced mentor to assist you in your professional studies
• Excellent professional qualification training with tutor support provided by a reputable external training provider
• A generous study leave package
At the end of year two, provided you have met the required performance standard, you will get the opportunity to progress to a more senior level within the Finance & Accounting function.
See attached FAQs for further information about the scheme.
Candidates should have a minimum of a 2:1 Degree (or equivalent) in any discipline obtained or predicted.
We are seeking individuals who:
• Enjoy solving complex problems and can deliver clear and effective solutions
• Can understand the bigger picture whilst dealing with the essential detail
• Have high standards of written and verbal communication
• Are keen to embrace change
• Are willing to share information, knowledge and skills
• Have a strong focus on internal and external customers
• Have a commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
• Are keen to seek out new opportunities for learning, personal and career development
• Are prepared to commit to a two year training programme
• Are pro-active and willing to take responsibility for their own development and career progression
We ask a lot of our people and in return, we give them the training and development the job demands and the respect and rewards that it deserves.
Join us and you’ll find this is a very supportive and inclusive place to work.