Job Description for Environmental Professional
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Are you an Environmental Manager who is looking to influence decisions across the project lifecycle of multiple Environmental projects? Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) want you to join their business and share their vision to equip our Armed Forces with equipment that is environmentally conscious; equipment that not only has world leading capabilities, but it also exemplifies the UK’s commitment to positively lead the world with environmental issues in line with the ambitious environmental agenda identified in the Independent Defence Review (2021).
We believe a diverse workforce improves diversity of thought and ultimately the service we can provide our Armed Forces. As part of a wider diversity agenda, we are excited to be able to advertise full-time and part-time opportunities for Environmental Managers in our Internal Technical Support (ITS) team. This team works closely with clients, across a range of delivery teams, as intelligent decision makers and Subject Matter Experts (SME’s), they provide support to a huge variety of projects, from combat aircraft and armoured vehicles to submarines, body armour and aircraft carriers.
Joining the Internal Technical Support (ITS) team will help you become a sought-after Subject Matter Expert (SME) through our supportive learning culture. You will have the drive to learn and provide vital expertise helping Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) manage environmental issues across a breadth of high-profile projects.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Environmental Professional
As an Environmental Professional your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Providing advice and support to colleagues, ensuring that appropriate environmental requirements are correctly applied and delivered in contracts
- Creating and implementing environmental management systems for products, services, or systems, as either part of design or in-service support
- Interpreting and applying environmental policy for the design and support of platforms and equipment
- Utilising your communication and stakeholder management skills to offer all the above services across multiple areas, including Maritime, Land, Weapons, Air and Submarines, ensuring that your solutions are understood and appropriately executed
- Support the development of best practice and understand the implication of change
- Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of environmental products or services.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Minimum of a Level 4 qualification (e.g. HNC or above) in a related science subject or Engineering or experience that demonstrates this level of understanding
- Experience of writing of environmental artefacts in support of a compelling body of evidence
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry (e.g. defence, oil & gas, rail etc.)
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Formulate Environmental policy and procedures (SysEnv1) – Practitioner
- Implementation of Environmental Policy & Procedures (SysEnv2) – Practitioner
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Environmental Professional by creating an account and upload your details.