Job Description for Engineering Skills Lead
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Are you a high performing Leader with an engineering background, committed to supporting DE&S and our people? We are looking for someone with drive, resilience and ambition to join our Ships Team as the Engineering Skills Lead.
This post offers an opportunity to gain a wide perspective on the business, our people and policies. You will interact regularly with senior management, delivery teams and our engineers, with visibility of the work going on within, and across, Operating Centres and the wider DE&S business. Working as Skills Lead, you will gain experience of shaping engineering skills policy and, most importantly, support the career development of our professional engineers.
You will be expected to balance the business need of delivering the right quantity and quality of Engineers, at the right time, to the maintain our outputs, with individual career aspirations and personal development opportunities for our people, at the forefront, to ensure DE&S remains ‘A Great Place to Work’.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Engineering Skills Lead
As our Engineering Skills Lead, you will work with delivery teams and the business to understand and assess future demand signals whilst using your engineering and technical expertise to address and provide solutions to ensure the skills need of the business are met. This is a highly strategic role that requires a strong engineering background with demonstrable people skills.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Working with delivery teams and the business to analyse future programmes of work and technological advancement to anticipate the likely demand signals for skills
• Undertaking strategic succession planning to develop appropriate training solutions to meet the evolving skills demand of the business
• Analysing training requirements for scarce skillsets, driving forward development initiatives to improve the skills base of the engineering workforce
• Establishing a mechanism for delivering targeted engineering training programmes using different providers
• Identifying and managing future entry talent requirements, guiding the development of the graduate and apprenticeship programmes
• Championing the implementation of diversity and inclusion initiatives and organisational strategies to make Engineering an inclusive and representative workforce
• Working with stakeholders across the organisation to cohere capability development initiatives with the strategic level intent of the organisation
• Working with technical leads to develop communities of interest and foster information exchange across our technical disciplines to support the development of Engineers
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• You will hold a Bachelor’s degree (i.e., Level 6 qualification) in an Engineering or Science subject, or demonstrate significant suitable experience
• You will be a member of a relevant Professional Engineering/Science Institutions or equivalent body, at Incorporated Level or higher, whilst providing evidence of your commitment to professional development of yourself and others
• You will have a proven record of people management, with demonstrable experience of driving the development of technical staff and building and leading high performing, multi-discipline teams
• You will have the ability to manage organisational complexity, and be able to balance the day-to-day tactical activities with the strategic intent of the business
• You will have evidence of managing conflicting stakeholders to deliver successful technical outcomes
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Evidence of supporting the technical development of engineers within a complex organisation
• An awareness of Engineering technological developments across a broad spectrum of disciplines
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Improve Engineering Capability
• Stakeholder and Comms Management
• Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Engineering Skills Lead by creating an account and upload your details.