Share this job with family or a friend
DE&S and SDA Engineering Military Transition Scheme
Are you a service leaver with engineering experience, who’s passionate about using your knowledge and experience to continue supporting those on the front line? This is an opportunity to stay part of the team, helping to deliver the equipment used by the UK military, as you step into a rewarding civilian career.
Join Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) or the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) on an Engineering Military Transition Scheme. We have opportunities available across a range of areas, around the UK, from safety engineering and quality assurance to cyber and human factors integration.
We value the wide-ranging skills and experience of service leavers, and we’re working together with the Cabinet Office and Career Transition Partnership (CTP) to offer you the chance to take on a fixed-term contract of up to two years. You’ll become a civil servant with access to all our usual benefits, including our support to develop and progress. From CV writing and interview preparation to on-the-job and formal training, we’ll coach and support you to apply for a permanent role with us when you’re ready.
This scheme is part of the cross-government ‘Going Forward into Employment’ initiative to support military service leavers into secure civilian careers. As such, you will not be required to complete a traditional, formal interview process. Instead, you’ll benefit from an informal conversation with a hiring manager to assess your skills and suitability, to find the right role for you.
We’re an integral part of UK Defence. We make sure our military is equipped, supported, and connected, as they protect life at home and overseas. We manage a vast range of complex projects to buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need, so they can operate safely and effectively.
“At DE&S, we’re proud to work hand in hand with the UK Armed Forces to deliver and maintain cutting-edge military capabilities – making us a natural next step for many service leavers. Uniquely able to understand the needs of our military customers, veterans represent skills, experience and values that are critical to our national security mission. In turn, we offer stable, rewarding, and meaningful careers working on some of the most capable defence equipment in the world.”
Andy Start, DE&S CEO
To be eligible to join through this route:
- Veteran candidates must:
- have served within the Armed Forces for at least 1 year
- be within 5 years of leaving the Armed Forces
- be within 10 years if you have been medically discharged
- Military partners or spouses must:
- have a current serving partner/spouse
- have a partner/spouse who falls within the above veteran criteria
- If you join us with a break in service from the military of less than five years, and you have completed five years of military service, the military leave allowance will be preserved, and you will be awarded 30 days of leave
- Otherwise, 25 days’ annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
Ready to join us?
Please submit the information below, along with an up-to-date version of your CV, to our recruitment team. We’ll be in touch to discuss suitable opportunities relevant to your skills, experience, and areas of interest. We look forward to supporting you into a civilian career that celebrates your military experience.
- Specific area of interest or technical specialism
- Preferred location (please note, for some roles regular attendance to site will be required)
- Service end date
- Salary expectations
- Do you hold Developed Vetting (DV) clearance? (not essential)
Recruitment team email address: DESHR-SD-TalentAcquisition@mod.gov.uk
We are a large organisation of over 12,500 personnel, and will work with you to find a suitable role as part of our team. Please be aware, there may be a rare occasion where no suitable opportunities are available.
If permanent positions are of interest and you feel confident to apply, please visit our vacancies page to explore our current vacancies. If this is your preferred route, you can opt into the ‘Great Place to Work for Veterans’ initiative – this will allow you to progress directly to interview stage so long as you meet the minimum eligibility criteria of the vacancy.
We thank you for your service and look forward to hearing from you.
Engineering Military Transition Scheme (Register Interest)
Dependent on level and experience
23-month fixed-term contract
Full-time, Job share, Part-time, Flexible working
Get in touch