Job Description for Engineering Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We have multiple positions available for Engineering Managers across a number of areas of IBOC (Integrated Battlespace Operating Centre).
IBOC delivers a diverse portfolio of mission critical programmes to all four Front Line Commands; these are usually complex programmes and projects are delivered in rapid turnaround times. The IBOC portfolio is operationally focussed, and its scope includes:
• Communications, Information, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems
• Equipment providing Force Protection capabilities
• Chemical, Biological, Radiological or Nuclear protection
• Military Air Traffic management, Airspace Battle Management and Ground-Based Air-Defence
• Information Systems and Networks, including those that manage Defence Logistics
This is an opportunity for Engineering Managers to help ensure platforms, systems and equipment is procured and delivered to the UK military front-line, for safe operational use.
Teams where Engineering Managers are sought include: JSENs (Joint Sensors and Engagement Networks), CBRN (Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear), SPISN (Special Projects Information systems and Networks), SACC (Situation Awareness Command and Control), or other interesting areas within the Land Domain.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only. Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Engineering Manager
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
As an Engineering Manager within DE&S, you will be in a team responsible for delivering and maintaining advanced military equipment. You will act as an intelligent customer on engineering design, development and support.
Your responsibilities as an Engineering Manager will include, but not be limited to:
• Leading from the front, interfacing with industry and stakeholders, as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks associated with procuring complex military equipment
• Defining problems, developing the best solutions and determining how to deliver them to the customer, utilising ‘cutting edge’ technology, to deliver ‘World class‘ military capability
• Creating and maintaining engineering plans to enable collaborative working across the team and with stakeholders
• Providing engineering assurance across the project lifecycle holding contractors to account, ensuring best value to the tax payer
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification or demonstrate equivalent experience in a relevant area (e.g. Networking, Communication, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering)
• You will demonstrate experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
• You will have a wide ranging depth and breadth of technical experience in own specialism with knowledge and application of Engineering approaches
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- EFCF 3 Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance (Practitioner)
- EFCF 5 Technical Risk Management (Practitioner)
•Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people, and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Engineering Manager by creating an account and upload your details.