Job description for Engineer
The SDA has exciting career opportunities for eager and motivated engineers to join our teams in MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol. In joining us you will support some of largest and most complex programmes in defence, working at the forefront of marine technology to oversee some of the most complex engineering projects anywhere in the world.
Our opportunities will suit engineers with Mechanical, Electrical, Systems, Electronic, Naval or Marine engineering experience.
Utilising your previous experience, we will assess your personality, aptitude, career goals, and interests to enhance your skillset and find the best team fit for you, your career goals and your aspirations.
Our teams consist of a diverse mix of engineers, scientists, and deep technical specialists. You will be inducted into a hybrid working, fair and ethical environment, promoting personal development and career progression. A career with the SDA will enrich your future and offer unrivalled opportunities for promotion as well as specialist technical training to support your career in engineering.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only. Due to there being posts in multiple teams, the SDA reserve the right to offer the highest scoring applicant/s for each team respectively, subject to requirements.
Responsibilities for Engineer
Key responsibilities will differ subject to specialism, department and allocation. If successful, we will look to allocate you to a role based on your skillset, preference, and strengths. In these roles, you will typically be entrusted to:
- Oversee engineering/technical requirements, ensuring requirements placed on our suppliers meet the Royal Navy’s needs and that these are delivered by our suppliers
- Evaluate proposed system designs for new submarines
- Review and approve design changes for submarines in-build
- Identify solutions to defects and obsolescence on in-service submarines to maintain the design intent
- Manage technology development projects and introduce new capabilities to in-service submarines
- Develop specialist knowledge in your field to provide advice
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience
- (Demonstratable) experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes.
- (Demonstratable) technical experience in their discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Improve Engineering Capability
- Application of Analytical Techniques
- Communicating and influencing
- Making effective decisions
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about SDA Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Engineer by creating an account and uploading your details.