Job description for Engineer
The SDA has exciting career opportunities for eager and motivated Engineers to join our Principal Naval Overseers in Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria. In joining us you will support some of largest and most complex programmes in defence, working at the forefront of marine technology to oversee some of the most complex engineering projects anywhere in the world.
There are positions available in engineering teams specialising in Nuclear Propulsion, Submarine Systems, Weapons Engineering and Shipbuilding. Your skills, personality, aptitude, career goals, and interests will be assessed against your engineering specialism and discipline to find the best team fit for you.
Our teams consist of a diverse mix of engineers, scientists, and deep technical specialists. You will be inducted into a hybrid working, fair and ethical environment, promoting personal development and career progression. A career with the SDA will enrich your future and offer unrivalled opportunities for promotion as well as specialist technical training to support your career in engineering.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only. Due to there being posts in multiple teams, the SDA reserve the right to offer the highest scoring applicant/s for each team respectively, subject to requirements.
Responsibilities for Engineer
Key responsibilities will differ subject to specialism, department and allocation. If successful, we will look to allocate you to a role based on your skillset, preference, and strengths. In these roles, you will typically be entrusted to:
- Act as the Equipment System Owner representative to provide approval, evaluation and acceptance of documentation pertaining to the build and commissioning of Submarine systems & components
- Undertake verification and validation of the submarine design and build against the customer requirements
- Contribute to the production of surveillance plans and undertake build surveillance on site & onboard, to gather independent assurance over product build quality and contractual conformance – ladder access will be required in the majority of areas when undertaking surveillance onboard submarines
- Determine quality management and assurance approaches ensuring technical risks are understood and managed
- Brief project teams on findings and anticipated delays to build
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience
- (Demonstratable) experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes.
- (Demonstratable) technical experience in their discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts.
- Experience in a heavily regulated industry.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
- Technical Decision Making
- Communicating and Influencing
- Seeing The Bigger Picture
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about SDA Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Engineer by creating an account and uploading your details.