Job description for DE&S/SDA Solutions Architect
We are currently recruiting for Solutions Architects to join our forward thinking and progressive team based in MOD HQ – Abbey Wood, Bristol, giving you a fantastic chance to form an integral part of our Information Management & Information Technology (IM&IT) function.
You will lead the technical design of specific solutions to meet DE&S business requirements ensuring they meet agreed architectural principles and standards, responsible for delivering a strategic approach to ensure that information and IT is secure, reliable, available, and managed in line with departmental and legal requirements. If successful, you will contribute to the creation and review of systems capability strategies and develop models to drive forward that strategy, whilst also delivering high level and detailed digital solution architectures. You will take responsibility for investigating work to determine the best approach for technical solutions and engage with multiple stakeholders as a specialist in your field, providing appropriate advice and guidance.
Want to hear what one of our Solutions Architects thinks of this role?
“The opportunity to work in Defence is both exciting and important in equal measures. Having joined in January 2022, I have been afforded the opportunity to develop my skills by designing systems using cutting-edge technology and working collaboratively across Defence to deliver benefit.”
If successful, depending on which team you’re allocated to, you may be required on site 1-2 times per week with occasional travel to other locations. There may also be opportunities to manage other colleagues within the team.
While on site, you’ll experience our impressive range of on-site facilities including a restaurant and coffee bistros and parking. Our sports facilities include a fully equipped gym and sports hall with bookable classes, as well as a squash court, tennis courts and a football pitch.
Please note, due to the nature of work some posts are Reserved (open to UK Nationals only), some are Non-Reserved. Some posts will require the successful candidate to attain DV (Developed Vetting) clearance once in post. Other roles available require SC (Security Clearance).
Responsibilities for DE&S/SDA Solutions Architect
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Define and create multiple options of systems solutions to inform the decision of the most effective way of meeting business needs, whilst assessing associated risks in collaboration with Senior Architects.
- Maintain and increase technical knowledge to ensure IT solutions, exploiting the full advantages of the functionality available.
- Recommend design structures and tools for systems which meet business needs and takes into consideration compatibility with existing systems.
- Engage with multiple stakeholders across the business to support the delivery of the Solution Designs, IT strategy, policies and processes in own specialist area.
- Lead on process improvement initiatives and contribute to the strategy.
- Translate business needs into physical designs and produce detailed design documentation, working collaboratively with Business Analysts.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience in solution design and/or relevant technical/professional qualification
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Strategy, Architecture and Solution Design – Practitioner
- Development and Implementation – Supervised Practitioner
- Making effective decisions – Level 3
- Changing and improving – Level 3
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits, the SDA benefits guide, and our pension schemes
Please click the link below to apply for DE&S/SDA Solutions Architect by creating an account and uploading your details.