Job description for DE&S/SDA Project Manager
We’re looking for ambitious and motivated Project Managers to join our growing Project Delivery team at Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) and the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA).
Within this exciting variety of roles, you’ll use and develop knowledge and experience in line with organisation needs to support the UK Armed Forces, as they defend the UK at home and abroad.
Hear from one of our Project Managers:
“What we do as project managers is key to successful and timely delivery of safe and effective equipment to Front Line Commands and service personnel. Every day we play a functional part of making this happen, and that is ultimately what is important. The breadth of experience that you gain here is so wide due to the diversity of delivery that we do – and there’s great benefits like flexible working and a generous pension too.”
Growing your career as part of DE&S or the SDA, you’ll have diverse opportunities at the forefront of ensuring the delivery of crucial and significant projects for UK Defence. This could include supporting the delivery of major government projects, supporting humanitarian aid globally, delivering equipment to the front lines to support operations, placing innovative solutions to support current capabilities, or guaranteeing future capabilities involving robotics and automation that help service personnel out of areas of conflict. You’ll be supported by your manager and wider team to achieve your career goals and aspirations, with mentoring and funding for industry-recognised qualifications available to help you to fulfil your potential.
If you have the pride, passion and commitment, with the drive to develop your skills and experience of leadership and delivering successful outcomes, then you will find yourself in good company with us.
We operate a hybrid working environment and the expectation is that you will attend site around twice a week. Initially, you may be expected to attend more frequently to familiarise yourself with your new role.
Responsibilities for DE&S/SDA Project Manager
Successful candidates will:
- Be accountable for the delivery of project outputs ensuring the most cost-effective and efficient means of delivery
- Meet with customers to successfully manage the start of projects, leading the development of project business cases and delivery plans; also engaging with stakeholders to identify, assess and mitigate risks to secure project delivery
- Lead, manage and develop multidisciplinary teams across varying levels of project complexity
- Demonstrate a positive can-do attitude to all aspects of work with the adaptability and versatility to act as a catalyst for change
- Support an open, honest, no blame culture, proactively tackling shortfalls, learning from experience, and implementing constructive next steps, whilst contributing to the continual improvement of the team, through commitment to self-learning and supporting your team’s learning and development
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Leading and managing a team to deliver projects/outputs
- Experience in managing a project to delivery outputs and outcomes
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and building positive working relationships
- The ability to solve problems and find solutions
- Proven ability to be resilient in an ever-changing environment
Due to the secure nature of these positions, some posts will be reserved for sole UK nationals only.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Controlling a Project
- Making Effective Decisions
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits, the SDA benefits guide, and our pension schemes
Please click the link below to apply for DE&S/SDA Project Manager by creating an account and uploading your details.