Job description for DE&S/SDA Project Manager
The Project Delivery function tracks and delivers some of the most complex and exciting projects in UK Defence, offering fantastic variety with the support to shape and grow your career. With Project Controls and Project Management specialists working arm-in-arm, together our teams deliver fast-paced, cutting-edge projects – from the newest armoured vehicles to ground-breaking future aviation technologies – while ensuring critical core programmes keep moving forward, too.
We’re an Association for Project Management accredited organisation, and as part of our team you’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, on-going training, access to funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We’re hiring senior Project Managers to join teams within Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) and our sister organisation, the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), too. With your knowledge and experience, you can take on a role with true impact, leading on the delivery of equipment and support to the UK Armed Forces.
You could be involved in a wide range of fascinating projects, from the delivery of future capabilities such as robotics and automation, to managing our current national and international defence priorities, to implementing wider Government policy needs in support of COVID or disaster relief.
If you’ve got big aspirations and dedication to delivering the best outcomes, our organisation will provide the tools to help you learn, grow and achieve extraordinary things. That’s why we say, your ambition leads here.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for DE&S/SDA Project Manager
Successful candidates will be entrusted to:
• Lead and develop high performing multidisciplinary teams, to deliver agreed time, cost and quality outcomes across different stages of the lifecycle
• Lead by example to promote an open, no blame and inclusive culture
• Demonstrate resilience in operating in volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous environments
• Build strong relationships across a complex stakeholder environment, clarifying requirements, boundaries and managing expectations
• Manage contractors effectively ensuring delivery against contractual commitments
• Use structured techniques to ensure delivery against the agreed plan whilst actively managing risks
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application, you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Experience in leading project delivery, setting targets and objectives, and holding accountability for delivering outputs within an ever-changing environment
• Experience in building strong relationships with senior managers and decision makers across a complex stakeholder environment
• Experience leading both customers and suppliers, clarifying requirements, boundaries and managing expectations
• Proven experience in the fields of Project Delivery, Operations Management or Change Management
• Effective utilisation of techniques to monitor performance against the plan, actively identifying and managing risks and finding solutions
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Acquisition Project Management
• Seeing the big picture
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what our organisations offer in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits and the SDA Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.