Job description for DE&S/SDA Operations Manager
We have great opportunities to join us as an Operations Manager here at DE&S/SDA Bristol. If you have experience in operational delivery or a related discipline, an aspiration for further development, and the passion and commitment to consistently deliver the best outcomes, then you’ll find yourself in good company with us.
As an Operations Manager, you’ll assist in the delivery of a capability, equipment, or service to meet our defence clients’ requirements using knowledge of supply and demand, and project management skills and techniques.
You’ll resolve problems and deliver a range of time-sensitive outputs. Establishing effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders will be vital, while ensuring your actions support military front-line operations. With a pro-active approach and a commitment to continuous improvement, you’ll interpret management information to provide valuable insights that help us perform better, together. Supporting teams, you’ll encourage a culture of learning from experience, imaginative thinking and expanding mindsets, to challenge the status quo and to continually drive for improved quality.
These roles are based in our offices in Bristol and in-office attendance will be expected as required
Due to security requirements, some of these posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals only and some will require more in-depth security checks (Developed Vetting).
Responsibilities for DE&S/SDA Operations Manager
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Support the delivery of projects and in-service support for equipment used by the armed forces
- Work collaboratively with a range of internal and external stakeholders to implement solutions through a cross-team effort
- Contribute to the placement and management of contracts, and monitoring supplier performance to ensure agreed contractual obligations are met, in terms of quality, timeliness, and reliability of goods or services
- Assist in supervising resources, monitoring actual spend and updating forecasts accordingly to ensure the support meets our military customer requirements fully and within the agreed budget
- Apply agreed governance arrangements for the delivery of the service, aligned with best practice and key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Assist with investigations where the required KPIs are not being achieved to the required quality, standard or timescales, and helping to identify the issues and taking appropriate action
- Support Continuous Improvement activity
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
Demonstrable experience of:
- working within at least one of the following fields: Operations Management, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Business Management, Engineering, Technical Through Life Support
- preparing plans for service delivery and ensuring agreed service levels are met – whilst remaining within time, cost, and quality parameters
- organisational, influencing and communication skills
- delivery of contract requirements and budgets including monitoring actual spend and updating forecasts accordingly
It would also be great if you can demonstrate any of the following desirable criteria:
- supervising a team through a change, which improved the efficiency and effectiveness of the delivery of outputs
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Managing support, supplier, and customer networks – Supervised practitioner level
- Enhancing Service Support Systems – Supervised practitioner level
- Making effective decisions
- Managing a quality Service
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits, the SDA benefits guide, and our pension schemes
Please click the link below to apply for DE&S/SDA Operations Manager by creating an account and uploading your details.