Job description for DE&S/SDA Operations Manager
Our Integrated Logistics (ILog) function manages and delivers the tools, parts and in-service support that keep vehicles and equipment well-maintained, from their first launch to the day they’re retired from service. We’re pleased to offer challenging and interesting careers that bring a sense of pride and purpose. By joining our team, you’ll find yourself a role where your voice is heard, your impact is felt, and your contribution is recognised.
You’ll also benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
As an Operations Manager you’ll assist in the delivery of a capability, equipment, or service to meet our defence clients’ requirements using knowledge of supply and demand, and project management skills and techniques.
You’ll resolve problems and deliver a range of time-sensitive outputs. Establishing effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders will be vital, while ensuring your actions support military front-line operations. With a pro-active approach and a commitment to continuous improvement, you’ll interpret management information to provide valuable insights that help us perform better, together. Supporting teams, you’ll encourage a culture of learning from experience, imaginative thinking and expanding mindsets, to challenge the status quo and to continually drive for improved quality.
If you have experience in operational delivery or a related discipline, an aspiration for further development, and the passion and commitment to consistently deliver the best outcomes, then you’ll find yourself in good company with us.
Please note: Due to security requirements, some of these posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals only and some will require more in-depth security checks (Developed Vetting).
Please note some attendance to the stated site will be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for DE&S/SDA Operations Manager
In this role, you will be entrusted with:
• Supporting the delivery of projects and in-service support for equipment used by the armed forces
• Working collaboratively with a range of internal and external stakeholders to implement solutions through a cross-team effort
• Contributing to the placement and management of contracts, and monitoring supplier performance to ensure agreed contractual obligations are met, in terms of quality, timeliness, and reliability of goods or services
• Assisting in supervising resources, monitoring actual spend and updating forecasts accordingly to ensure the support meets our military customer requirements fully and within the agreed budget
• Applying agreed governance arrangements for the delivery of the service, aligned with best practice and key performance indicators (KPIs)
• Assisting with investigations where the required KPIs are not being achieved to the required quality, standard or timescales, and helping to identify the issues and taking appropriate action
• Supporting Continuous Improvement activity
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
Demonstrable experience of:
• working within at least one of the following fields: Operations Management, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Business Management, Engineering, Technical Through Life Support
• supervising a team through a change, which improved the efficiency and effectiveness of the delivery of outputs
• preparing plans for service delivery and ensuring agreed service levels are met – whilst remaining within time, cost, and quality parameters.
• organisational, influencing and communication skills
• delivery of contract requirements and budgets including monitoring actual spend and updating forecasts accordingly
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Managing support, supplier, and customer networks – Supervised practitioner level
• Enhancing Service Support Systems – Supervised practitioner level
• Making effective decisions
• Delivering at pace
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and uploading your details.