Job Description for DE&S/SDA Integrated Logistics Support Manager
Our Integrated Logistics (ILog) function manages and delivers the tools, parts and in-service support that keep vehicles and equipment well-maintained, from their first launch to the day they’re retired from service. We’re pleased to offer challenging and interesting careers that bring a sense of pride and purpose. By joining our team, you’ll find yourself a role where your voice is heard, your impact is felt, and your contribution is recognised.
You’ll also benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more.
We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Are you looking for a role where you can make a direct impact? We have exciting opportunities within Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) and the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) for Integrated Logistics Support Managers (ILSMs).
As an ILSM within the Internal Technical Services for Support (ITSS) team, you will provide direct support to Project and Operations Managers for ILS outputs across our organisation, focusing on varied and meaningful projects that support the UK Armed Forces.
ITSS is a centralised team of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) that provide support services to delivery teams. As a member of the team, you will be shaping and influencing how our Armed Forces manage, operate, maintain, diagnose, and repair equipment/products at an affordable through life cost. This extends to providing support intelligence in the maintenance considerations for buying new equipment/products or resolving equipment/service gaps and failures.
Key to these roles is the ability to demonstrate a consultancy and continuous improvement mind-set, when engaging with all stakeholders, to deliver a quality service to our clients.
One of the above roles is for a Deputy ILS Sub-function position. In this role you will help shape how the organisation professionally develops its people and through-life support processes, and improve the capability, capacity, and career development of ILSMs and Equipment Support Managers (ESMs).
A career with us will provide you with a diverse range of opportunities – while being at the forefront of fast-paced and cutting-edge delivery projects. Progression is encouraged, and we’re keen to support your professional development within your area of expertise. Access to specialist training will underpin your continued professional development in these roles.
Please note some attendance to the stated site will be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for DE&S/SDA Integrated Logistics Support Manager
In this role, you will be entrusted with:
• Delivery of Integrated Logistics Support (ILS) activities into project and service support teams. These tasks will cover all phases of the project Concept, Assessment, Demonstration, Manufacture, In-Service, Disposal (CADMID) cycle.
• Production and maintenance of support plans, influencing the capability and support design with Industry and other defence partners.
• Providing effective monitoring of support schedules to show progress and maturity.
• Building a case to identify, manage and mitigate support risks at all stages of the CADMID cycle.
• Designing and implementing optimised support solutions, by considering alternative approaches, for improving and enhancing. capability and through-life customer service.
• Facilitating the update and upkeep of availability, reliability, and sustainability targets for the design and implementation of effective through-life maintenance solutions.
• Providing coaching, mentoring, and training, including advice and guidance on support matters and business processes.
Due to security requirements, some of the posts are reserved for sole UK nationals only and some will require more in-depth security checks (Developed Vetting).
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Experience of working in at least one of the following fields: ILS, engineering, supportability, logistics (Supply Chain) or technical operations.
• Experience in leading and guiding teams in either the design, development, transition to service or upkeep and update of equipment through life.
• Able to interpret multiple sources of data and trends to make effective decisions and solve problems.
• Able to guide teams in their decision making when investigating change proposals, improving support, or resolving disputes with customers or suppliers.
• Experience of managing and monitoring performance against agreed plans and/or schedules.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Managing support, supplier, and customer networks – Practitioner level
• Enhancing Service Support Systems – Practitioner level
• Making effective decisions
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what our organisations offer in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits and the SDA Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation.
Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for DE&S/SDA Integrated Logistics Support Manager by creating an account and upload your details.