Job Description for DE&S/SDA Commercial Officer
As part of our Commercial function, you’ll join a diverse team of around 1,000 people who support the successful delivery of defence procurement programmes with real world impact. Equipping and supporting the UK’s armed forces, these programmes range from peacekeeping to disaster relief to humanitarian aid projects – and we’re proud to help deliver them while ensuring compliance and best value.
You’ll benefit from a clear career path with plenty of opportunities for progression, support from colleagues and mentors to develop your career, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We have multiple opportunities for experienced Commercial Officers to join our team, If you are interested in playing your part in running and supporting procurements for Air, Sea, Land or Strategic Enabling Projects then apply now!
This is an excellent way to begin or continue your career in the Civil Service. There are a large number and a variety of roles available within both DE&S and SDA working on projects in support of the British Armed Forces. You will be supporting them in everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid projects.
The career path in our Commercial Function will enable you to develop the full range of commercial skills used in the organisation. With the support of a dedicated Functional Development Officer; an experienced commercial mentor and a large network of experienced peers and colleagues. You will be actively encouraged to test and develop new skills in a variety of roles and projects.
In addition to full induction and on the job training we actively encourage ongoing career development including professional qualification. We provide an array of training and other development opportunities to help our employees develop their skills and experience for a great career supporting the Armed Forces.
We also promote and support a range of flexible working patterns enabling colleagues to balance home and work responsibilities.
Due to the secure nature of these positions, some posts may require Developed Vetting and some will be reserved for sole UK nationals only.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for DE&S/SDA Commercial Officer
In this role, you will be responsible for but not limited to:
• Developing Invitation to Tender documentation, negotiating terms, pricing and placing of contracts up to a maximum delegation of £2.5M in accordance with the Ministry of Defence policy
• Supporting the development of new Procurement Strategies through analysis of the markets for Defence Equipment and ‘learning from experience’ with other teams in DE&S and using DE&S acquisition tools to advertise defence procurements to future suppliers
• Leading and/or assisting (depending on project value) in the portfolio management of Category A – D contracts ensuring contract obligations are met in line with the contract and business requirements.
• Monitoring supplier performance management in accordance with Contract Management Plans
• Contributing to wider Commercial function and business improvement activities
• Communicating in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders
• Managing staff where required, advising, coaching and developing Commercial Assistants.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Experience in sourcing and/or managing contracts
• Good communication skills
• Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office and ability to use IT systems and programmes.
If not already held, if successful you will be supported to undertake the following:
• CIPS level 4/or equivalent, or a willingness to work towards this by commencing study within one year of appointment.
• Have passed the MOD Practitioner Commercial Licence assessment, or be willing to undertake the assessment when agreed by line management.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Tender and Bid Process
• Contract Management
• Managing a quality service
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what our organisations offer in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits and the SDA Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for DE&S/SDA Commercial Officer by creating an account and upload your details.