The DE&S & SDA Commercial Function is made up of around 1000 people who provide independent, professional judgement on commercial, procurement and contract management matters to meet the Armed Force’s needs, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and guidance, whilst driving value for the customer. As a member of the Commercial team, you will play a key part in helping to equip and support the armed forces for everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid. People in the commercial function provide independent professional judgement on commercial and procurement business matters. It is made up of professionals specialising in: competition; tendering and contracting; contract management; commercial risk and compliance with public procurement regulations.
We are currently looking for Commercial Managers to provide leadership within Commercial teams in DE&S and SDA. Our Commercial Manager roles include contract sourcing, contract management, sales and disposals. You will work collaboratively with other functions in the Project Delivery teams to provide leadership of a complex contract or portfolio of contracts, manage delivery of business and commercial outputs to deliver business requirements. Other Commercial roles can also include those within DE&S/SDA Corporate Commercial, for example supporting Function activities with Assurance and Training or Commercial Business Improvement.
Please note, whilst successful candidates may need to spend a couple of days a week in our Abbey Wood site, we will be flexible to some home working.
Please also note that some of the positions available will be open to Sole UK Nationals only.
DE&S/SDA have opportunities for experienced Commercial Managers to join our team, allowing you to work on a huge variety of vitally important programmes that will ensure that people entrusted with the defence of the nation have the tools and equipment to do the best job they can.
Responsibilities of a Commercial Manager in DE&S/SDA may include:
• Negotiating terms and pricing, placing and manage contracts and contract amendments up to a maximum delegation of £10M in accordance with the Ministry of Defence policy.
• Communicating in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders including Senior Leadership, suppliers and Subject Matter Experts.
• Leading/ managing staff, advising, coaching and developing Commercial Assistants and Commercial Officers.
• Conducting assurance and due diligence of commercial activity within own area of responsibility in order to provide confidence in commercial outcomes. Participating in Peer Reviews as required.
• Contributing to wider Commercial Function and DE&S/SDA business improvement.
This is an excellent opportunity to begin or continue your career in the Civil Service. The clear and structured career path within the Commercial function provides many opportunities to develop as we offer an array of training and development opportunities to help our employees develop their skills and experience.
If successful you will be supported to undertake the following:
• Leadership development and defence commercial professionalism courses to develop commercial skills and ensure on-going Continuing Professional Development.
• Relevant Study for Chartered Institution of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) to achieve Level 4 qualification, if not already held. This will be funded by DE&S / SDA.
• Practitioner Level Accreditation Panel to demonstrate Government Commercial Function (GCF) professional standard
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Relevant contract sourcing and/or contract management experience
• Experience of leading, developing and motivating others – members of your team and the wider business – for continuous improvement.
• Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office or equivalent and ability to use IT systems and programmes.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience of working with senior stakeholders and collaborating with others for successful outcomes
• Experience of complex or high-risk projects or programmes or a portfolio of projects in single source or competitive markets
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Establishing the Sourcing Strategy
• Contract Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Making effective decisions
• Developing self and others
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The DE&S & SDA Commercial Function is made up of around 1000 people who provide independent, professional judgement on commercial, procurement and contract management matters to meet the Armed Force’s needs, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and guidance, whilst driving value for the customer. As a member of the Commercial team, you will play a key part in helping to equip and support the armed forces for everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid.