Job description for DE&S/SDA Business Analyst
DE&S (Defence Equipment & Support) & SDA (Submarine Delivery Agency) are hiring a number of Business Analysts to join our IM&IT function, based in Abbey Wood, Bristol.
Working alongside our internal stakeholders, successful Business Analysts will be confident in running workshops, assessing the impact of changes on the business whilst understanding the wider business challenges, inter dependencies, and conflicts. You’ll gain knowledge through research, process mapping, data collection and analysis, as well as requirements gathering to define appropriate solutions.
Life as a Business Analyst can be very varied and depending on whether you’re allocated to DE&S or SDA, you could be working on projects which involve implementing new systems to support the enhancement of business process, use artificial intelligence and robotic process automation to support equipment and logistics programs, as well as enhancing collaboration within the Submarine Enterprise.
If you’re successful in gaining a Business Analyst post, will join a team that supports the analysis, identification, and implementation of system improvements, acting as a catalyst for change across the organisation, meaning your work here has the potential to have a massive impact on the business in a relatively short space of time. With excellent communication and stakeholder engagement skills, you’ll have the ability to elicit detailed requirements and challenge your customers in a consultative, constructive, and collaborative manner.
Want to hear what one of our Level 3 Business Analysts thinks of working in this role? ‘I love working for DE&S Digital because of the work variety, growth and learning development opportunities it provides.’
You’ll be working directly in a small team within a wider team of around 40 other Business Analysts among both DE&S and the SDA so you’ll have the opportunity to develop your skillset very quickly by working on high-impact projects and programmes with the support of our wider Business Analysis and Information Management & Information Technology community.
We offer outstanding training and development opportunities, defined progression routes, and a host of other benefits including our ‘Smarter Working’ policy, which means that you’ll be able to enjoy a high degree of flexible working whilst also having the opportunity to work at our MOD Abbey Wood campus.
Whilst on site, you’ll experience our impressive range of on-site facilities including a restaurant and coffee bistros and parking. Our sports facilities include a fully equipped gym and sports hall with bookable classes, as well as a squash court, tennis courts and a football pitch.
Please note that some roles require a minimum of 2 days a week on site at our MOD Abbey Wood campus, this will be discussed at the offer stage.
Please note, due to the nature of work some posts are Reserved (open to UK Nationals only) and some are Non-Reserved. All posts will require the successful candidate to attain SC (Security Clearance).
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for DE&S/SDA Business Analyst
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Investigate, analyse, and create documentation of business processes, to define requirements for improving processes and systems.
- Identify new alternative and innovative approaches to performing business activities.
- Investigate and elicit detailed requirements to inform the development of new or improved business solutions.
- Create and iterate viable specifications and acceptance criteria in preparation for the deployment of information and communication systems.
- Produce detailed business models and assist in the preparation of business cases to support change and innovation, produce detailed cost and benefit analysis, gain buy-in from stakeholder by testing your assumptions.
- Brief stakeholders and non-technical colleagues on results and options produced from analysis to ensure full understanding of any findings.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience of working as Business Analyst on projects within a professional/IT delivery organisation.
- Understanding of Business Analyst techniques and methods
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Development and Implementation (Practitioner)
- Change and Transformation (Practitioner)
- Communicating and Influencing – CSBC3
- Seeing the Big Picture – CSBC3
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Discover more in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits, the SDA benefits guide, and our pension schemes
Please click the link below to apply for DE&S/SDA Business Analyst by creating an account and uploading your details.