£30,000 – £47,580 p.a (plus benefits)
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH
21st July 2019
The force behind the armed forces, DE&S is a highly specialised, arms-length body of the Ministry of Defence, operating with a budget of £178 billion over the next 10 years. From the procurement of fighter jets and aircraft carriers to the provision of food and clothes, we ensure the armed forces have the equipment and support they need to carry out their operations at home and abroad. We employ over 11,000 talented Civil Servants and military personnel (supported by contractors from the private sector) across more than 150 locations around the world.
Our Engineering function enables the delivery of our equipment and support by providing specialist expertise in domain-related disciplines such as: mechanical, electrical & power distribution; software, sensors & electronic systems; acquisition safety & environmental protection; quality assurance; ordnance munitions & explosives, as well as systems engineering & integration.
An exciting opportunity exists to become part of the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Protection (ASEP) discipline within DE&S as a Product Safety Manager. This role is responsible for providing expert advice and guidance supporting the delivery of Acquisition Safety requirements and solutions across the business. This will include regular interaction with both internal and external stakeholders and advising customers. It involves through life management of complex project safety and environment risk management delivery in support of safe and suitable equipment, systems, and services to Front Line Commands.
You will use your skills and knowledge to understand, interpret and advise against regulations and policies and provide expert advice to Senior Stakeholders. You will have an understanding of Safety Case/Risk Management and prior experience in the Defence industry would be advantageous.
Typical key responsibilities:
• Interpret and apply key Health & Safety and Environmental EU and UK legislation and MOD Regulations/DE&S policy.
• Develop and maintain Safety Cases and Hazard Logs, production of Safety Case Reports and Assessments.
• Specialist member of Safety Panels and Committees.
• Manage contractors who perform safety management activities on behalf of DE&S.
• Ensure appropriate standards for safety arrangements are correctly applied and delivered in contracts.
• Undertake System Safety Risk Assessments and develop mitigations to manage and control risks.
To be successful in this role you will have the ability to:
• Support the development and maintenance of specialist Acquisition Safety artefacts (e.g. Safety Case Reports, Risk Assessments, Safety Management Plans, Hazard Logs etc.).
• Manage assurance activities.
• Gather and manage information that would withstand forensic scrutiny drawing on your critical thinking, attention to detail and excellent communication skills
• Conduct investigations and reviews unsupervised
• apply risk management techniques and provide evidence of dealing with internal and external stakeholders
• have the judgement and strength of character to speak up when seeing something unsafe and the ability to convince people to take the actions necessary to ensure safety is maintained.
Applicants will typically be degree qualified in an Engineering related subject or alternatively may hold NEBOSH General Certificate or Diploma, however relevant experience in Safety Management is also acceptable.
DE&S recognise the importance of cultivating talent and so would also welcome applications from qualified Engineering Managers willing to undertake training and guidance in order to become Safety Practitioners.
Please note that some roles are open to sole UK Nationals only and those within the Air Domain will require Engineering qualifications and experience.