Job description for DE&S Lead Data Scientist
As part of the Information Management & IT function, your impact will be felt across the organisation, helping to embed new technology and tools, automate processes and improve data management. We’ll support you to innovate, as you bring positive change and fresh ideas to the team. Don’t settle for the status quo. Improve on what’s gone before – and drive for what’s next.
This is an exciting time to join the Data Science team here at DE&S (Defence Equipment & Support). We are looking to expand the team by recruiting an experienced Lead Data Scientist who will support our continued journey to transform the usage and quality of data across the organisation.
The work of a DE&S Lead Data Scientist has become highly visible and delivers demonstrable value. You’ll be leading a team of 4 Data Scientists on delivery of work that aligns to our overarching MI & Data Analytics and AI strategies to deliver analytical solutions for business needs. You will be able to bring your entire skillset to the role from Data wrangling to Machine Learning, from developing innovative new data science capabilities, to embedding reproducible analytical pipelines.
If you have professional experience of leading on excellent data science outputs in support of Management Information and Business Intelligence programmes. If you enjoy developing an outstanding Data Science capability, this could be the perfect opportunity to progress your career in a large, complex and exciting organisation.
We offer outstanding training and development opportunities, defined progression routes, and a host of other benefits including our ‘Smarter Working’ policy, which means that you’ll be able to enjoy a high degree of flexible working whilst also having the opportunity to work at our MOD Abbey Wood campus.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
This post requires SC (Security Clearance).
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for DE&S Lead Data Scientist
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead a multi-disciplined team, including data scientists, on large scale projects to ensure high quality work is delivered that meets the needs of the business.
- Influence the strategic direction of MI, Data Analytics and AI employing innovation to push boundaries and move DE&S forward in its data exploitation.
- Lead the application of Machine Learning, e.g., Random Forests, NLP & Neural Networks to share insights with Stakeholders to influence business decisions.
- Ensure best data science practices are implemented to generate reproducible work and provide project inputs or consultancy and stakeholder engagement.
- Lead the development of updates to existing models & tooling and maintain operational resilience.
- Be the most senior Data Scientist at DE&S ensuring rigour across Data Science activities and collaborate with other analytical professionals, to provide collective insights and grow DE&S capability.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Extensive practical experience in the delivery of Data Science capabilities and methods, including business adoption and change management elements of digital delivery.
- Strong experience of the Python coding language and familiarity with Anaconda ecosystem or similar environment and package management tooling.
- Experience of leading a Data, Analytics or AI team.
- Knowledge and experience of scaling pilot / proof of concept Data Science activity to enterprise solutions
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- MI and Analytics – Expert
- Strategy, Architecture and Solution Design – Practitioner
- Leadership – CSBC 4
- Seeing the Big Picture – CSBC 4
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefitsand pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for DE&S Lead Data Scientist by creating an account and uploading your details.