Job description for DE&S Commercial Manager
As part of our Commercial function, you’ll join a diverse team of around 1,000 people who support the successful delivery of defence procurement programmes with real world impact. Equipping and supporting the UK’s armed forces, these programmes range from peacekeeping to disaster relief to humanitarian aid projects – and we’re proud to help deliver them while ensuring compliance and best value.
You’ll benefit from a clear career path with plenty of opportunities for progression, support from colleagues and mentors to develop your career, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We are currently looking for one Commercial Manager for our Portsmouth site and another Commercial Manager for either Portsmouth or Abbey Wood, Bristol, to provide leadership within Commercial teams in DE&S. Our Commercial Manager roles include contract sourcing, contract management, sales and disposals. You will work collaboratively with other functions in the Project Delivery teams to provide leadership of a complex contract or portfolio of contracts, manage delivery of business and commercial outputs to deliver business requirements. Other Commercial roles can also include those within DE&S Corporate Commercial, for example supporting Function activities with Assurance and Training or Commercial Business Improvement.
Please note that some of the positions available will be open to Sole UK Nationals only and some successful applicants will need to be able to pass Developed Vetting clearance.
Please also note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Please note applications close on Sunday 29th January 2023 at 11:55pm.
Responsibilities for DE&S Commercial Manager
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Negotiating terms and pricing, placing and management of contracts and negotiating contract amendments up to a maximum delegation of £10M in accordance with the Ministry of Defence policy
- Supporting the development of new Procurement Strategies through analysis of the markets for Defence Equipment and ‘learning from experience’ with other teams in DE&S and using DE&S acquisition tools to advertise defence procurements to future suppliers
- Supplier performance management in accordance with Contract Management Plans
- Due diligence of commercial activity within own area of responsibility in order to provide confidence in commercial outcomes
- Contributing to wider Commercial function and business improvement activities
- Communicating in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders • Leading and managing a team of commercial officers and assistants.
This is an excellent opportunity to begin or continue your career in the Civil Service. The clear and structured career path within the Commercial function provides many opportunities to develop as we offer an array of training and development opportunities to help our employees develop their skills and experience. If successful, you will be supported to undertake the following:
- Relevant level of study with the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) if not already held. This will be funded by DE&S
- Practitioner-level accreditation panel to demonstrate Government Commercial Function (GCF) professional standard
- Leadership development and defence commercial professionalism courses to develop commercial skills and ensure on-going Continuing Professional Development
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Previous experience of sourcing, delivering, and managing contracts
- Experience of managing, leading and developing others
- Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office or equivalent and ability to use IT systems and programmes.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Tender and Bid Process
- Contract Management
- Making effective decisions
Communicating and influencing
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits, the SDA benefits guide, and ourpension schemes
Please click the link below to apply for DE&S Commercial Manager by creating an account and uploading your details.